Disable html in Single text fields

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
epi4dogs

Disable html in Single text fields

Post by epi4dogs »

Hey all,

We're having a problem fending off spammers creating new member registrations. Initially they were putting links in their profile signatures but I disabled that. Now they're reverting to (manually) putting basic link code into some of the custom Single text fields on the new registration page which then displays text as an active link (i.e. <!-- e --><a href=[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->"

The single text fields don't seem to have an option to disable code thru the APC (i.e. Users and Groups > Users > Custom profile) feeds so I'm wonder is there's another way to ban code in such fields. I'd like to retain legitimate members ability to post links in forum posts but that's the only place really.

Any tips gratefully received.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Disable html in Single text fields

Post by Mick »

The best thing is to stop them registering in the first place. Please supply a link to your board so we can see what anti-spam measures you have in place.

Edit: I found your board. The answer to the question in the Q&A is easily Googled first hit. You need to change that for something that isn’t searchable.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
epi4dogs

Post by epi4dogs »

Thanks for your reply Mick and taking the time to have a look, much appreciated.

Yes I'm looking at a number of ways to up our anti-spammer game, I'm also going to test the Akismet Anti-Spam Extension. Re; the Q&A I've tried to strike a balance for our members who are a diverse group international group while not creating barriers to registering by putting in word puzzles or similar especially for those for whom English is a second language. Will have a ponder on how to make it tricksier.

Still for those spammers who get through anyway I'm still keen to hear from anyone on the original issue, disabling HTML in simple text fields or any code I can add to ensure these fields live up to their name and just resolve as plain text.

cheers
epi4dogs

Post by epi4dogs »

Anyone?
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

I suggest you install the stop forum spam extension.

Another approach is to use a commercial service. cleantalk.org is very effective and I think it costs $8/year/domain. Use the extension from GitHub because the one here is very dated.

https://github.com/CleanTalk/phpbb3.1-3.2-antispam
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

epi4dogs wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:37 amAnyone?
I suggest you make an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
epi4dogs

Post by epi4dogs »

Thanks for the suggestions Mick & Mark, much appreciated. If anyone comes up with a bit of additional code to do the job in the interim please let me know.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”