Clear the database completely!

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
ScrapBlox
Name: Alec

Clear the database completely!

Post by ScrapBlox »

Hiya,
Forum statistics:
Forum version: 3.3.8
Database server: MySQL
Php Version: 8.1.6
I no longer need phpbb I may return later but now I wish to clear the data that uses the prefix "phpbb_". I can't clear the entire database as there is other things in use. I've tried using the Support tool kit but no luck

Thank you :D
~ ScrapBlox (Alec)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Clear the database completely!

Post by warmweer »

Why not use phpMyAdmin or another database tool, select all tables with the prefix "phpbb_" and truncate those.
Why even keep those tables? Just delete them.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Faerie Slorg

Post by Faerie Slorg »

Yes, just delete the folder in which your forum stays. Let's say, from the main catalogue of your FTP directory of the hosting you use you log into "public_html" and there's the folder called "forum", or whatever. The folder within which you have config.php of your forum. Just delete that folder.

Then log onto your hosting and your database tool and delete it all. From what I recall, cPanel is the most used now. When you log into cPanel, look for something like this:
sql1.png
and you will get into a nice window with the list of your databases and simple "Delete" options.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Faerie Slorg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm ...
Then log onto your hosting and your database tool and delete it all.
Did you overlook this part?
ScrapBlox wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:54 pm I can't clear the entire database as there is other things in use
@ScrapBlox
Since you mentioned you may want to return to phpBB later, it might be a good idea to keep a backup of that database in case you want to reboot with the data you have at this time.

edited: corrected the @ (ScrapBlox instead of Faerie Slorg)
Last edited by warmweer on Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Faerie Slorg

Post by Faerie Slorg »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:43 pm
Faerie Slorg wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:24 pm ...
Then log onto your hosting and your database tool and delete it all.
Did you overlook this part?
ScrapBlox wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:54 pm I can't clear the entire database as there is other things in use

@Faerie Slorg

Since you mentioned you may want to return to phpBB later, it might be a good idea to keep a backup of that database in case you want to reboot with the data you have at this time.
Oh yes, I did, sorry.

Yeah, the general idea would just be to go phpMyAdmin if you have that one. If you have, I can show you screenshots how to do the Export and then Deletion (but those are kinda simple and as soon as you log in, you should be fine :D)
ScrapBlox
Name: Alec

Post by ScrapBlox »

Thankyou @warmweer and @Faerie Slorg

I will do so!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

For a database backup - the easiest way is to use the native phpBB Backup feature: select all tables, execute and the resulting database backup will be saved in the /store. The file will have a long and strange name, e.g. backup_1652658688_le1dp1j0bgbzwek1.sql.gz or backup_1652658688_le1dp1j0bgbzwek1.sql depending on whether compression was selected or not.

That's the only file you absolutely need to keep in order to be able to rebuild a board. The phpBB files can always be (re)downloaded from here.

However, in you have custom images (or attachments) on your board, you will also need to backup those.
The easiest way would be to first take a database backup (which will be stored in /store) and then take a backup of your whole board directory.
That way you won't have to mess with separate db and file backups.

Have a look at Forum Backup Instructions
In the article, section File Backup, there is mention of separate directories. As mentioned previously I would not backup the separate directories but just backup the whole board: less work and no risk of forgetting anything.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”