None of the email functionality works

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
4mpb5

None of the email functionality works

Post by 4mpb5 »

Version 3.3.7

Contact us emails not sent to valid email set up during install

If a user tries to register by email verification they do not receive any email

Most important , if a user forgot password, they cannot recover it by receiving a password rest email from the system

and so on

I did not setup any SMTP method. I am using the builtin native method (meaning I did not setup anything other than a valid admin email)

Looks like it had been discussed a lot but all of them point to SMTP setup.
I don't want to comploicate things with another layer and just want to use native method

I have setup another forum before & I did nothing and it worked fine
janus_zonstraal

Re: None of the email functionality works

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I did not setup any SMTP method. I am using the builtin native method (meaning I did not setup anything other than a valid admin email)
Is your host allowing to use the normal email settings?
Are the mails not send or do the members not receiving them?

Best test it with https://www.mail-tester.com/ (send the mail to them from your board)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
4mpb5

Post by 4mpb5 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm
Is your host allowing to use the normal email settings?
I have no idea what you mean here & how to check it on my host
janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:26 pm
Are the mails not send or do the members not receiving them?
Obviously th emembers not receiving them because I registered as a new user with a different email I have. I did not receive verification email.
I sent an email using "contact us" email form & I did not receive the email where i expected to receive.

How do I check on my side if email was sent at all in the firest place ? Is it in some log file ??
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

I have no idea what you mean here & how to check it on my host
You can ask them ;)
How do I check on my side if email was sent at all in the firest place ? Is it in some log file ??
Check it on your admin page of your host (cpanell or directadmin)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
4mpb5

Post by 4mpb5 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:07 pm Check it on your admin page of your host (cpanell or directadmin)
Are you sure this is webhost related ?

You may still be right but I would tend to think that I would need to play with my cPanel only if I was using the SMTP method but I am not using the SMTP method. I am using what is native to teh PHPBB forum setup (unless of course if you still think phpBB uses something in cPanel setup even for porcessing email within phpBB itself)
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

phpBB does not have "native Email". If you do not use SMTP, then it would use whatever your web host has set up for PHP to use.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and some hosts do not provide php mail as the default or even at all. therefore, you would have to use smtp. you can ask your host about this, only they would know.
if you need to use smtp then you will need to know the correct username/password system that your host provides. once again, you have to ask them
and/or find that info in your cpanel somewhere.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
MarkDHamill

Post by MarkDHamill »

Some hosts block outgoing emails if it looks too spammy. I've seen GoDaddy do this and worse they will often refuse to unblock them. Many web hosting control panels have an email deliverability option that shows what was sent and the status.

It can't hurt to see if your domain is on an email blacklist.

https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx

As a general rule, using SMTP is preferred and using an email associated with your domain as the from and reply to emails is a good idea. Making sure you have a valid set of SPF and DKIM records too.

If your host says emails are going out, check spam folders. They may be there.

I would like to see a one click unsubscribe feature in phpBB's emails. It seems to be what is expected these days to help these emails from being flagged or thrown into spam folders.
Need phpBB services or a phpBB consultant? I offer most phpBB services. Getting lost managing phpBB? Buy my book, Mastering phpBB Administration. Covers through phpBB 3.3.7. eBook and paper versions available.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”