New attachments cannot be downloaded, download starts but fails

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Konspirius

New attachments cannot be downloaded, download starts but fails

Post by Konspirius »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.7
What is your board's URL? http://phstudio.de
Who do you host your board with? domainfactory
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Update from a previous version of phpBB3
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? No
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.2.2
What styles do you currently have installed? proflat
What language(s) is your board currently using? german
Which database type/version are you using? MySQL 5
What is your level of experience? Comfortable with PHP and phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? The issue showed up while running 3.2.2 smoothly and appearantly without any changes being made. I tried resolving it by updating to 3.2.7 which was latest when done, but the issue persits.
Please describe your problem. Suddenly new attachments of larger files cannot be downloaded. When you try to download them, everythings seems fine and the browser starts downloading. However close to finishing the download the browser (not the forum!) states "cannot download" or similar. I have tried this with Edge, Firefox and Safari on both Windows and iOS, it is all the same. Previously uploaded files however CAN be downloaded, and also newly uploaded SMALLER files - the limit appears to be at around 2.5 MB.
This occurs no matter who uploaded the file. It becomes particularly appearant with mp3 files (it is a forum for my band, so the only larger files are mp3), though I cannot say wether it is mp3 only.

Accessing the server via FTP the files are downloadable just fine. The phpbb_attachments table also seems correct and fine.

I just do not understand how this problem came to be in the first place, nor how to resolve it. Googling and searching this forum have not helped me out either, this seems to be no regularly occuring issue. Any help will be much appreciated, thank you in advance!
Generated by SRT Generator
Last edited by Mick on Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: New attachments cannot be downloaded, download starts but fails

Post by Mick »

Welcome to phpBB
Konspirius wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:19 pm Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
What username can be used to view this issue? No answer given
What password can be used to view this issue? No answer given
From what you say this was all working previously and that you’ve done nothing to cause the issue? The only other party that could have changed anything would be your host, have you contacted them?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Konspirius

Post by Konspirius »

Hi Mick,

thank you for your reply. Correct, I at least do not remember changing anything in the forums oder the server settings.
I have not yet contacted my hoster, but that's because I do not even know what to ask them for. Judging by the fact that ftp-access to the files works fine and the files themselves work fine after downloading them via ftp, I was suspecting this to be a phpbb-issue.

I have looked at the download/file.php, to be honest, I do not know enough php to understand exactly what it is doing with the headers or why, but could that cause the issue? But even if so: I do not get why this suddenly appeared, even before updating. Frankly, I'm kinda clueless what and why this is.

Kind regards,
Konspirius
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Konspirius wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:41 pmI do not get why this suddenly appeared
Things don’t suddenly ‘appear’, something has to have caused it and it wasn’t you . . .

Make a note of the time and date you first noticed the issue then ask your host what they did around that time. They will probably say they did nothing so then ask for level two support or their manager.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Konspirius

Post by Konspirius »

Ok so apparently this all started in April 2022. In April 2022 my host performed a migration of my server from 32 to 64 bit and apparently assigned a new IP.

However, they said this should not have any effect on the functioning of scripts and databases. And I really don’t get why everything seems to work except for these wicked downloads. But I contacted the support and maybe they can figure this out. Will report back.

Thanks so far!
Konspirius

Post by Konspirius »

Well, my host told me to add this line to the root .htaccess of the phpbb-forum:

Code: Select all

RequestHeader unset Range
This has indeed fixed the issue, although I don't understand either what this does nor why it resolves the issue. However, for anyone having the same issus, this has helped me.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”