Paypal Scam

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Paypal Scam

Post by Brf »

Just thought I would tell you all about a new PayPal scam.

I have been getting scam PayPal messages for years. Ones that say I have purchased crypto for $299.99. I always delete these because they come from a fake Gmail address and have a warning in bold saying if I didn't make this transaction to call this number within 24-hours to cancel.

Here comes the new one...

I get the same exact type of fake message -- crypto for $570 -- call this number within 24 hours -- but this time it has a name in the email address, followed by [email protected]. I check the email headers and it turns out this message actually came from PayPal's servers.
I look at the message a little closer and see an official PayPal footer explaining that this is a "quote email". It turns out that PayPal allows a seller to send a quote to a buyer, but does not moderate the contents of the message. Therefore they are allowing scammers to send their fake messages through official PayPal channels.
david63

Re: Paypal Scam

Post by david63 »

Are you aware of anybody pointing this out to Paypal?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

I pointed it out to them. I forwarded the Email to their phishing address, including the headers showing it came from them.
I also closed my account, which I have only used once in 20 years, with the reason that I would not be a client of a service that allows scam emails to be sent from its servers.
david63

Post by david63 »

Brf wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:10 pm I pointed it out to them. I forwarded the Email to their phishing address, including the headers showing it came from them.
I also closed my account, which I have only used once in 20 years, with the reason that I would not be a client of a service that allows scam emails to be sent from its servers.
I'm sure that would get them worried ;) ;)
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Thanks, I'll pass this one on

Return to “General Discussion”