Need forum updated from 3.0.12 to 3.3.x and host transfer

For users who wish to pay for specific services from other members.
NOTE: The phpBB team has no responsibility in these services whatsoever. Usage is at your own risk!
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations
READ: Wanted's Forum Rules

NOTE: All contracts and services provided through this forum are at your own responsibility.
The phpBB Teams will NOT deal with disputes resulting from interactions through this forum.
Eriamjh1138

Need forum updated from 3.0.12 to 3.3.x and host transfer

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

Title/Job Description:
Backup, transfer and upgrade my forum from old host running 3.0.12 and old php to latest phpBB at a new host.

Target audience: (e.g. professionals, hobbyists, students)
general public of classic car owners

Reward: (e. g. money, backlinks, fame)
Money, moola, greenbacks, etc, most likely via Paypal.

Deadline:
Sept 9, 2022

Preferred contact method: (e.g. PM, e-mail)
Email: PM me here, then we'll switch to email or whatever.

Link to the board:
https://www.thelincolnforum.net/phpbb3

Detailed description of the tasks:
Download full archive backups of the HTML and SQL databases. I've had issues with images loading on my local copy running on an old PPC Mac.
HTML is about 10GB and has a problem with FTP because the server won't show more than 9999 files, so the archive had to be made via SSH or by the host then downloaded. SQL database is over 1GB, but that's with the search undeleted. I've had it down below 600MB.

Things might be complicated by Cloudfare enabled for https, but I can disable that before it starts. I'd like to eliminate Cloudfare if the newer version of phpBB supports https.

The server times out a lot (one of the reasons I want to move hosts). I don't want anything changed on the running site until it's fully transferred and running on the new host.

I plan on starting with a new host paying for one month. If all goes well, I'll prepay for 1 to 3 years and all will be well.

I'm looking for someone who has done this and just want it done as I have failed every time I tried. I am no expert. I'm barely an intermediate. Sure, the forum has been running since 2002, but I fell behind and left it since 2013 and now I'm paying the price, which is your gain. I had issues with the php limitation across the 3.0.12 to 3.3.x updates.

We don't get much traffic anymore and have no ads, no sponsors, and run solely on donations from the members and some digital sales of manuals and documents for said classic cars. Looking for a reasonable estimate.
Eriamjh1138

Re: Need forum updated from 3.0.12 to 3.3.x and host transfer

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

Thank you for the responses. I will carefully consider each one and get back (hopefully within 10 days).
Eriamjh1138

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

Sorry for the delay. I've received backups from my host and have 30 days to make it work.
They have moved me to a "new" server that should be running the latest php, etc. so if I can make the update from 3.0.12 on my local machines to 3.3.8, then it should be a simple re-upload. I found out why my previous backups and local installs were not loading my pictures.
While FTP said I had 9999 files, I actually had over 54,000. The full backup made by my host solved my FTP limitations. so I am working with the complete set of files. (Yeah, 54K files, including thumbs is about 11GB).

I may still need the support of an expert, so I want to thank everyone who has contacted me so far. I have not given up on my own efforts just yet.
Eriamjh1138

Post by Eriamjh1138 »

I just wanted everyone to know that I was able to transfer and install to a new host after I exhausted all efforts with my provider of 9 years. The root of the problem was that they did not have and would not install the MySQLi extension for php7.X. I wasted weeks with them and had a new host and finished the transfer in 3 hours.

Thank you all for reaching out. I apologize for lot getting back with interim updates (I had a new host and transferred everything yesterday after trying for weeks to make things work.)