Users can become full users after posting twice

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
gyrolin

Users can become full users after posting twice

Post by gyrolin »

Hi all, I'm having this problem on the forum. Currently, I have set the setting to approve before posting successfully, and this setting does work well in blocking spam. But it also stops normal customers from posting.
I found on this forum: after posting more than 2 times, you can post freely without the approval feature. I would like to ask how this is done?

I found "Newly registered user group" in ACP. It has as many members as full users. It seems that customers exist in both groups. How do I set it up correctly?
Last edited by thecoalman on Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Support Forum
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Users can become full users after posting twice

Post by KevC »

general
User registration settings
new member post limit
Set that to 2

Then, once 2 posts have been approved, users will be free to post.
By default everyone will go in to both the registered users and newly registered users groups. When they get 2 posts, they drop out of the newly reg'd group and can post as much as they like without approval.

For people that are currently in the Newly reg'd group (NRU) that you want to allow to post, you can just remove them from that group.

Manage groups
Click members next to the NRU group, select who you want and choose remove from group at the bottom.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

-------edit - Kev beat me to the punch for some things.

Under User registration settings set New member post limit: to 2 or whatever number you desire. Also make sure Set Newly Registered Users group to default: is set to yes.

Go to the permissions tab and click the "forum permissions" link on the left. Check the box all forums and click submit. Under the "Manage Groups" click the first group listed, scroll to the bottom and while holding shift select the last group. All groups shoud now be highlighted. Click edit permissions.

The next page will give you overview of the of all forums and the permissions for every group. Make sure you have set a role for each group. If no role is suitable they can be edited or created. For newly registered users assign them the "newly registered user" role.

To edit or create forum roles while on the permissions tab click the "Forum roles" link on the left. Select role to edit it.

Note that users can belong to be multiple groups and permissions are stacked. Everyone belongs to to the registered user group so you use this for your base permissions. To remove them for newly registered users set it to never.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
gyrolin

Post by gyrolin »

KevC wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:45 am general
User registration settings
new member post limit
Set that to 2

Then, once 2 posts have been approved, users will be free to post.
By default everyone will go in to both the registered users and newly registered users groups. When they get 2 posts, they drop out of the newly reg'd group and can post as much as they like without approval.

For people that are currently in the Newly reg'd group (NRU) that you want to allow to post, you can just remove them from that group.

Manage groups
Click members next to the NRU group, select who you want and choose remove from group at the bottom.
Thank you for your quick response.
This is exactly my problem, in "1" I have set the posting limit function.
1.jpg
In "Figure 2" you will see that there are almost as many users as there are users, and as an administrator I have to approve my own posts once before I can post. Any further help would be appreciated.
2.jpg
gyrolin

Post by gyrolin »

Thanks for the answers, I'm going to try it now.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You have ‘No activation (immediate access)’ set in account activation you need to set that to ‘by user’ and there’s no need to set the NRU as default.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

gyrolin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:55 am and as an administrator I have to approve my own posts once before I can post.
Then you have the permissions set up incorrectly somewhere.

admin panel
permissions
at the bottom of the menu are the mask options.
If you choose forum based permissions and then on the next screen select a forum that you cannot post in and then enter your username in the bottom left box on the next screen you'll get your permissions for that forum.

On the left of the line for 'can start new topics' (which probably has a red box on it) you can click the O-> icon and it will show you the groups you're in and where the block permission is coming from.

Post a screenshot of the pop up you get from that.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

gyrolin wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:55 am as an administrator I have to approve my own posts
Just a minor point - the approving of posts is a Moderator permission not an Admin one. Presumably you are the founder which means that you have both Admin and Moderator permissions.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

david63 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:46 am Presumably you are the founder which means that you have both Admin and Moderator permissions.
I don't know what the default is for first user but founder status does not necessarily give you moderator privileges. It gives you complete access to the ACP whether the user belongs to admin group or not and can only be managed by other founders. What I like to suggest is find a an old account that was never activated, change the email and password. Give the account founder status and activate it. If you ever lose control of your main account you can use that account to get into the ACP. It's only possible to determine it's founder account through an SQL query or individually checking every account through the ACP.

To check if administrators have full moderator privileges go to the Users and Groups tab, select the link "Group permissions" on the left. In the drop down in upper left select global moderator permissions. Assign the Full moderator role if it is not already assigned.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
david63

Post by david63 »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:15 am I don't know what the default is for first user but founder status does not necessarily give you moderator privileges
On every board I have installed since I don't know when, the initial user that is created (i.e. Founder) has full Admin permissions and Global Moderator permissions (i.e. they are in the Global Moderators group). If you make another member a founder then you have to set the permissions either manually or by group.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:34 am On every board I have installed since I don't know when, the initial user that is created (i.e. Founder) has full Admin permissions and Global Moderator permissions (i.e. they are in the Global Moderators group). If you make another member a founder then you have to set the permissions either manually or by group.
That's what I thought but I checked just in case: installed a new board and yes: the initial founder is member of the Administrator and of the Global Moderator group.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

yep, the installer is both a founder and a global moderator.
however, the global moderator is not part of the founder permissions. it is just that the install puts the installer in both groups.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”