updating old 3.0.8 to the latest 3.3.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Nono01

updating old 3.0.8 to the latest 3.3.8

Post by Nono01 »

Hello to the PHPBB community.
I've been a long time user of PBPBB forums, and love the platform. But, I've neglected the updates through the years and it's time to upload a new version. Since my forum is on the old 3.0.8 version, I've looked on the support documentation HERE). Do I need to pay attention to any other stuff related to this update? I don't want to end up with lost posts or users down the line.
Also, my forum is clean from all mods, stock as it is (except a custom banner).

Thanx for any help provided
invenio

Re: updating old 3.0.8 to the latest 3.3.8

Post by invenio »

Just make a backup before you start and if something goes wrong, you can always restore.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... tructions/
Nono01

Post by Nono01 »

Thank you for the reply. Just one more thing, If I upgrade with a tutorial on the official page, I presume that all the board settings (mods, admins, groups) will remain the same, just the forum will be upgraded to the newer version?

Thank you
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Basically yes as long as you mean moderators, modifications no.
Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.3 wrote:Upgrading to phpBB 3.3 will render previously installed MODifications and styles unusable. If you have a custom logo, it will need to be redone after the upgrade. See Knowledge Base: How to Change your Board Logo.

phpBB 3.3 is not compatible with 3.0 and most of the previous files will need to be removed prior to upgrading
3.3 User Guide - Upgrading from 3.0 to 3.3
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
invenio

Post by invenio »

It should.

You can also try to do the upgrade on a local computer to make sure everything works well.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

I was able to upgrade a phpBB 2.0.21 to 3.3.3 which is now at 3.3.8. The conversion was done in steps. I performed all of the conversion work on a localhost machine. The advantage there is the ability to run the server software of the era that matches up with phpBB2+ best.

Make sure all of the spam and inactive users are cleared and disable addon extensions.
Here is the link to the topic thread I had during the time. viewtopic.php?t=2530986

The converted forum is now called the oldforum and is now a read-only phpBB board with over a million posts and 20,000+ registered users. I went through the work and tense moments because so much information is on that Puppy Linux forum and the original operator had died unexpectedly with the server aging and still running PHP5+.

I would suggest doing your conversion in increments through the versions to reach 3.3.8 if possible.
Nono01

Post by Nono01 »

invenio wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:19 am It should.

You can also try to do the upgrade on a local computer to make sure everything works well.
That's a good idea, but is there a simple tutorial on how to put up all the software requirements for a local machine?
rockedge wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:53 pm I was able to upgrade a phpBB 2.0.21 to 3.3.3 which is now at 3.3.8. The conversion was done in steps. I performed all of the conversion work on a localhost machine. The advantage there is the ability to run the server software of the era that matches up with phpBB2+ best.

Make sure all of the spam and inactive users are cleared and disable addon extensions.
Here is the link to the topic thread I had during the time. viewtopic.php?t=2530986

The converted forum is now called the oldforum and is now a read-only phpBB board with over a million posts and 20,000+ registered users. I went through the work and tense moments because so much information is on that Puppy Linux forum and the original operator had died unexpectedly with the server aging and still running PHP5+.

I would suggest doing your conversion in increments through the versions to reach 3.3.8 if possible.
Thanx for that. My forum is not that large (about 800.000 posts in 50.000 topics) but I wanna make sure that everything is done right. I have automatic local backups on my hosting every 24h so if anything goes wrong I can always get back to the old version. But I would really like to try to do that on a local machine and make sure everything goes well. It was a while since I tackled a Linux machine so I need to find a "dummy guide for bringing up a localhost on your PC" :)
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Nono01 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:02 amis there a simple tutorial
Seek and ye shall find: Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”