ways to monetize phpbb forum

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
garfy

ways to monetize phpbb forum

Post by garfy »

I have like 800 users per day and I earn nothing. Is there a way i can monetize it? Like maybe do a membership or something?
what is the best way to earn some money from the forum....
it has many thousand posts...
Last edited by thecoalman on Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpBB Discussion
janus_zonstraal

Re: ways to monetize phpbb forum

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Google adsence or a other adds program.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I did well as did many others with Adsense years ago but the profit from that dried up over the past decade. That said If by 800 users per day you mean actively posting that is a lot of traffic and it may not be a bad idea to test to the waters with Adsesne if you want to go the advertising route. You'd have to let it go for a few months before drawing any conclusion, I wouldn't get my hopes up. There is also the privacy issue and ad blockers cutting into revenue.

There is the Viglink extension that comes with phpBB but I have no personal experience with it. I would be quite interested in hearing results from anyone that has.

Whatever the case direct advertising is where it's at if you can pull it off. I directly sell ads as percentage of the available advertising space on annual basis. Renewal time is coming up and I have 5% left. :D It's custom script because you need to track the impressions. One of the difficulties involved with this is tracking legitimate traffic, since I'm not basing it on clicks or total impressions it's non issue. Other benefits include avoiding the privacy issue, avoiding the security issue and adblockers will not block them.

As far as subscriptions they are a catch 22, you can't attract new members if the content is sitting behind a paywall. The approach one very old forum I belong too has taken is a subscription for one forum. Long term members and new users happy to get the information may subscribe.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
garfy

Post by garfy »

800 vusitors per day....not much posting....
it has a lot of good info on bad breath....and i am not getting any money from the site...
i would love to make it membership only and charge like 5 usd per month or something....
but there are no membership plugins for phpbb right?
david63

Post by david63 »

garfy wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:07 am i would love to make it membership only and charge like 5 usd per month
And at that rate I would make guess that your board would be dead within six months.

You say that you have 800 users per day, let's say 10% are active so you have a potential pool of 80 users and then let's say that 10% of those users are willing to pay $5 a month, that leaves you with eight users - how long do you think that would last?

$5 a year might be more realistic.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

There’s a PayPal extension, not sure if that will do. $5/month? That’s a lot of money, you’ll do well to extract $5/year.

Edit: Great minds think alike . . .
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:04 am

Whatever the case direct advertising is where it's at if you can pull it off. I directly sell ads as percentage of the available advertising space on annual basis. Renewal time is coming up and I have 5% left. :D It's custom script because you need to track the impressions. One of the difficulties involved with this is tracking legitimate traffic, since I'm not basing it on clicks or total impressions it's non issue. Other benefits include avoiding the privacy issue, avoiding the security issue and adblockers will not block them.

Looks very nice on your website, where can I find this custom script?
phpBB 3.3.7 | PHP Version 8.2.4 | Milk Theme
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

It's hardcoded modification to numerous phpBB files, sorry I can't distribute it. There is some leeway in custom coding for modifications but it's not intended for full on mods that should be released through the extension process.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

garfy

Post by garfy »

dude how you get that advertising banner between the posts?
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

garfy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:19 pm dude how you get that advertising banner between the posts?
See https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/extension/ads/
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
RomaamoR
Name: Roman

Post by RomaamoR »

I use google adsense.
My income > 1000 $

Forum statistics.
Last edited by RomaamoR on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

the last I heard you were not supposed to publish your google adsense stats according to google's adsense terms of service.

might want to remove that screenshot.

I could be wrong.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

garfy wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:19 pm dude how you get that advertising banner between the posts?
If that question is directed at me once again it's custom script and it does a lot more than that. ;)

This isn't what I'm doing but If you simply wanted to to stick some ad code between posts you can do this with template edits alone.

viewtopic.php?t=2625976

halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

thecoalman wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:54 am
Hello, So how can we adjust the ads you put between the topic lines on the forum page?
Last edited by Mick on Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Advertisements are the best way to monetize a phpBB board. I think it is kind of silly to charge money for it unless you're selling an ad-free membership alongside a free with ads membership.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”