Automated emails

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
[Dimetrodon]

Automated emails

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Honestly, when registering for sites, whether it be for phpBB or anything else, there are plenty of times when I do not receive the registration email. I'm not talking about it arriving hours later or it ending up in the spam folder. Rather, I'm talking about emails quite simply not showing up or in some cases, showing up with the activation code missing.

It seems to me that automated emails fail a significant amount of the time for whatever reason, especially when sent to a Gmail or Outlook address.
david63

Re: Automated emails

Post by david63 »

This has been an issue for several years and it is down to some mail servers blocking these emails as spam. The big companies don't have the problem because they have their own mail servers but where a site uses a hosted server then there will be this problem.

The reason, as I understand it, is that effectively the same email is being sent multiple times and once that email gets onto the server blacklist there is little that can be done.

I gave up on sending registration emails years ago for this very reason.
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Automated emails

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Yeah, I had an ISP email until very recently. Now I no longer have a true home ISP and use what is effectively a mobile provider due to lack of infrastructure in where I now live, so I have to use a free email, which is probably why I'm starting to notice this more.

Return to “General Discussion”