Refreshed stale style templates - now everything looks like crap...

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
indygrinder

Re: Refreshed stale style templates - now everything looks like crap...

Post by indygrinder »

david63 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:44 pm Just restore the backup that you made from before the changes
Damn, it's back to looking like crap again... All I did was restore the backup, and it worked fine for an hour or so.
I tried restoring the backup again, but this time it didn't work. :|

I'll try what thecoalman suggested ("Delete the styles/prosilver folder and upload the one from the download"). Tomorrow.

But I don't feel good about this. Why is this happening?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

are you trying it with prosilver to see if it is working correctly? if not try that. if it works ok then the problem is with your other style and you may need to just upload all new files for it and start over.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
indygrinder

Post by indygrinder »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:40 am are you trying it with prosilver to see if it is working correctly? if not try that. if it works ok then the problem is with your other style and you may need to just upload all new files for it and start over.

robert
I set all other styles to Default No, and it still looks like this:
https://mattiaspettersson.com/Sepe5/index.php
EDIT: It still says that I'm using the proflat style (at the bottom of the page)... Maybe I didn't select prosilver after all.
EDIT2: I changed my admin user profile to use prosilver (it was set to proflat), but it still looks the same, only now with the prosilver colours.

So I guess I should try to delete all prosilver files and reinstall prosilver?
indygrinder

Post by indygrinder »

thecoalman wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:44 pm https://mattiaspettersson.com/Sepe5/styles/prosilver/theme/stylesheet.css is returning a 404.

Delete the styles/prosilver folder and upload the one from the download.
I did that just now, and it's back on track again! Thanks a bunch.

But I still feel worried: How come after I restored the database, it worked for an hour or so, and then - with me doing absolutely nothing, too afraid to make any changes - it switched back to crap again, losing the style completely. Wtf is that?
david63

Post by david63 »

indygrinder wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:13 am after I restored the database
It has nothing to do with the database - it is the style files that a messed up.

Restore ALL your style files from the backup that you made before doing any changes.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
indygrinder

Post by indygrinder »

david63 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:42 am
indygrinder wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:13 am after I restored the database
It has nothing to do with the database - it is the style files that a messed up.

Restore ALL your style files from the backup that you made before doing any changes.
Ah, ok. I'm hoping it will work from now on, since I deleted the prosilver style folder and replaced it with a fresh one. Looks fine for now.
And from now on I will always make sure to backup everything properly before doing any changes.
EDIT: These problems occured when I clicked "Refresh stale style templates". Before that I had purged the cache many times, not having any problems whatsoever.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

;) "Recompile stale style components" temporarily removes the necessity to purge the cache whilst making file edits. It checks for updated style components on the filesystem and recompiles them on the fly. That’s probably the reason everything worked ok for a while then went peculiar once it did an “auto” recompile. Under normal circumstances that should be left as a ‘no’ as it is a load on the server.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
indygrinder

Post by indygrinder »

Mick wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:04 am ;) "Recompile stale style components" temporarily removes the necessity to purge the cache whilst making file edits. It checks for updated style components on the filesystem and recompiles them on the fly. That’s probably the reason everything worked ok for a while then went peculiar once it did an “auto” recompile. Under normal circumstances that should be left as a ‘no’ as it is a load on the server.
Thanks man! I have no idea why I did that recompile thing... Must've been something I read elsewhere on the support forum.
Changed this setting to NO immediately.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

That setting should be inconsequential. When you edit a phpBB template you need to purge the cache before changes will take effect, that setting should do it automatically. You may for example want to set this to yes if you are on development forum so you don't have to be manually purging the cache for every template edit. It should be set to no for live site because it will impact performance.

The issue you had was simply missing files. You either deleted them or did something else to make them go missing.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”