Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
solaria5505

Post by solaria5505 »

for a while now, I've sensed I've been missing both unread posts and new posts when I visit my forum. I've had another member notice this too. I'm wondering exactly how both 'new posts' and 'unread posts' works. It seems there's a time limit though I can't find either documentation or any control in my ACP. What I'd like is something that shows X amount of ALL new posts, irregardless of which topic/forum they were posted to/in, and some control over X, or some control over Y hours from last visit. This is just so I don't miss anyone, which has happened. I have the 'Top 5" extension which often seems more accurate than 'unread posts' and 'new posts'. It too though, seems to only list the latest in each forum or topic, as opposed to showing me multiple 'unread posts' in the same topic or forum. Anyone help clarify and/or help me achieve this?

Thanks.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: new posts, unread posts

Post by Brf »

"Unread posts" are simply those that you have not read.
"New Posts" are those that were made since your previous login.
You can use "Active Topics" to see those that were made in the last week or whatever.
solaria5505

Post by solaria5505 »

Brf wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:35 pm "Unread posts" are simply those that you have not read.
"New Posts" are those that were made since your previous login.
You can use "Active Topics" to see those that were made in the last week or whatever.
Problem is, I can go to 'unread posts' and get the list, then when I'm there, see other(s) that should have been included and were not. So, I figure there must be some sort of time limit or, it's ONLY reporting the LAST one posted, not ALL of them (since I was on the forum last). I have another member who sees this too.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

solaria5505 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:35 pm Problem is, I can go to 'unread posts' and get the list, then when I'm there, see other(s) that should have been included and were not. So, I figure there must be some sort of time limit or, it's ONLY reporting the LAST one posted, not ALL of them (since I was on the forum last). I have another member who sees this too.
Well, there is no way phpBB can determine which posts you read and which not unless it would keep track of all posts you clicked.
Basically an unread post is a post made after your last visit to a topic. So an unread post link will lead you to that topic - I suspect to the first post made after your last visit to that topic and once you visit that topic, it will be marked as read.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
david63

Post by david63 »

warmweer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 am So an unread post link will lead you to that topic - I suspect to the first post made after your last visit to that topic
There are actually at least three exceptions to that.

One is if a post has been edited - although arguably you have "Read" the post but not the edit.

The second is if a post is approved in a topic that you have read and the approved post is earlier than the last post in that topic.

And the third is if the posting date of a post is changed to be earlier than the last post.
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

david63 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:27 am There are actually at least three exceptions to that.
You're right: 2 of those I thought about (but didn't mention because they could cause confusion)

The third one (changing post time) didn't cross my mind. (wel spotted!)
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Yes. The phpbb_topics_track table keeps track of the last time you have viewed each topic. The "unread posts" link should go to the first post in that topic with a timestamp after that viewing time.

Personally, I never use "unread posts". I usually use "New posts", or "Active topics". The icon highlight will tell me the ones I have not read and the icon-link goes to the first unread one anyway.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:24 pm Personally, I never use "unread posts". I usually use "New posts", or "Active topics". The icon highlight will tell me the ones I have not read and the icon-link goes to the first unread one anyway.
I also never used unread posts either, that is before I discovered that in the Ideas forum, the easiest way (probably not the only way) to find unread posts in topics that are not in one of the 3 subsections listed on the forum page, ... is to use the unread posts feature.

P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Brf wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:24 pm Personally, I never use "unread posts". I usually use "New posts", or "Active topics".
Personally on most phpBB based boards my default bookmark is "unread posts" as I find it the easiest route to new discussions/posts. Having different options is helpful because everyone navigates differently and has different needs and wants.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”