W3C: Trailing slash on void elements

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
bennybernaer

W3C: Trailing slash on void elements

Post by bennybernaer »

A month ago the W3C validator gave no comments or errors. But at check today 40, and all the same

"Trailing slash on void elements has no effect and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values."
What can we do about this, is the intention to remove it / everywhere or what?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: W3C: Trailing slash on void elements

Post by Mick »

Surely W3C would be the first port of call?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Mick wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:24 pm Surely W3C would be the first port of call?
How do you mean ?

I don't know, that's why I'm asking here. I don't know if it's important, and if we can just ignore this.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

My 2c: if it doesn't break anything, ignore it. Attribute values are usually quoted anyway, so no problem with those. In less common cases, where you happen to have an unquoted attribute, removing the trailing slash is probably a good idea.

Obviously when writing new code the trailing slash should be left out, but I don't think there's any need to rewrite everything immediately. The web is full of trailing slashes on void elements and it still seems to work.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

This was reported over at Area 51 2 weeks ago.

Whether a bug ticket has been submitted or not I don't know.
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Ok thanks guys! I have been able to remove most / already.

<meta charset="utf-8"> & <input type="checkbox" name="viewonline" id="viewonline" tabindex="5" > etc. etc.

But where should I change in the below? In those css files there are no /

Code: Select all

<link href="./ext/bb3mobi/lastpostavatar/styles/all/theme/lastpostavatar.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/donation/styles/prosilver/theme/donation.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/memberprofileviews/styles/prosilver/theme/memberprofileviews.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/privatemessageinfo/styles/prosilver/theme/privatemessageinfo.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/progressbar/styles/prosilver/theme/progressbar.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/whovisitedthistopic/styles/prosilver/theme/whovisitedthistopic.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/dmzx/youtubegallery/styles/prosilver/theme/video.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/hifikabin/attachmentfluffbuster/styles/all/theme/attachmentfluffbuster.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/hifikabin/headerbanner/styles/prosilver/theme/headerbanner.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/hifikabin/headerbanner/styles/prosilver/theme/headerbanner_background.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/hifikabin/navbarsearch/styles/prosilver/theme/navbarsearch.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/paul999/mention/styles/all/theme/mention.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/phpbb/boardannouncements/styles/all/theme/boardannouncements.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/phpbb/collapsiblecategories/styles/all/theme/collapsiblecategories.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/phpbb/pages/styles/prosilver/theme/pages_common.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/rmcgirr83/contactadmin/styles/prosilver/theme/imageset.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/rmcgirr83/sfpo/styles/prosilver/theme/sfpo.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/steve/postreactions/styles/prosilver/theme/reactions.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/vse/abbc3/styles/all/theme/abbc3_common.min.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/phpbb/boardannouncements/styles/all/theme/boardannouncements.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
<link href="./ext/vse/scrollpage/styles/all/theme/scrollpage.min.css?assets_version=8253" rel="stylesheet" media="screen" />↩
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

those links are added by the extensions. So I would look in there. To be precise in the ext/extName/styles/styleNameThatYouUse/template/event
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:20 am those links are added by the extensions. So I would look in there. To be precise in the ext/extName/styles/styleNameThatYouUse/template/event
When I look in those style events, I don't see any / at all. To give the example below.
{% INCLUDECSS '@dmzx_donation/donation.css' %}

Fixed 35 notifications (no errors)

Only those extensions remain

And two that I can't find or understand well:

<input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="./index.php?sid=55c8d0ec88bb0e7410023d936a2f7d91" />↩
<input type="hidden" name="creation_time" value="1665918767" />↩
<input type="hidden" name="form_token" value="21d1cde972fe6186b4554b8aaeb3dcac08d3bfa0" />

<dd><input type="hidden" name="sid" value="55c8d0ec88bb0e7410023d936a2f7d91" />

{S_LOGIN_REDIRECT}
		{S_FORM_TOKEN_LOGIN}
		<dl>
			<dt>&nbsp;</dt>
			<dd>{S_HIDDEN_FIELDS}<input type="submit" name="login" tabindex="6" value="{L_LOGIN}" class="button1"></dd>
		</dl>
		</fieldset>
	</div>
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

bennybernaer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:28 am
Look through the rest of the html files of that extension
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:55 am
bennybernaer wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:28 am
Look through the rest of the html files of that extension

I did, but it doesn't contain anything other than including css files.

Is it 100% sure that I should search in extensions?
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Well if it's not in any of the html files of an extension then it's in a html files of a style you use. There is no way to guess that by just a little snipet you posted
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

Mannix_ wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:06 pm Well if it's not in any of the html files of an extension then it's in a html files of a style you use. There is no way to guess that by just a little snipet you posted
I actually don't have any more information... The W3C indicates this... And actually it's on every phpBB forum
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

if you use editor like notepad++ you can search through directory (Find if Files) for parts of codes you posted above.
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

I gave up and reported it on the bugtrager.

Here on phpbb.com you get exactly the same:
Trailing slash on void elements has no effect and interacts badly with unquoted attribute values.
Gumboots

Post by Gumboots »

I did a bit of looking around today, and apparently this is only an issue if the unquoted attribute is directly preceding the trailing slash (IOW, no space between attribute and slash). As long as there is a space between the unquoted attribute and the slash, no problem.

There's a whole lot of shiznit about it here: https://mathiasbynens.be/notes/unquoted ... ute-values
And a bit more here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... id_element

Return to “General Discussion”