Newbie Here With 1st Question

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
timlab55

Newbie Here With 1st Question

Post by timlab55 »

Well, I finally got the board up and running. In fact for a person who is fairly new to LAMP, I was able to put the board within my website structure meaning, Top Level (Home)
First Level
Second Level
Third Level (phpbb)

And I got the board to install without any problems. Got to love this stuff :). Okay, on my website the only way to access the board is through a link from my site. For example, you have this link#1 (going to entering numbers), link#2 (going to by laws), link#3 (going to phpbb). Okay so once I get to the board, how and where do I put a link to get back to where I started? I haven't figure that part out yet, but if someone could give me a hand I thank you.
Dan
Last edited by Mick on Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Newbie Here With 1st Question

Post by Mick »

Check out main website URL in ACP> Board settings
If specified, a link to this URL will be prepended to your board’s breadcrumbs and the board logo will link to this URL instead of the forum index. An absolute URL is required, e.g. http://www.phpbb.com.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
timlab55

Post by timlab55 »

I don't know if I screwed up, but I have no clue on how to get back to the admin page to make changes. How do you do that again?
Thanks
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You should have a link at the bottom of your forum to the ACP.

6F1BB00C-47A4-4845-B103-0E0D1ECE4657.jpeg

In vanilla prosilver you will have an ACP link next to the FAQ link in the breadcrumbs at the top of the board as well.

FF9C9094-6C99-42CB-8EE5-ECA9CEA034ED.jpeg
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
timlab55

Post by timlab55 »

When I log in as a new user, that link wasn't any place on any page. I did however manage to get into the admin page by typing the ip address/install and it took me right to it.

As for going back to the website, thanks....
Dan
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when you log in as a normal user you can't see the link to the admin panel. you have to log in as the admin to see those links.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

timlab55 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:01 pm When I log in as a new user, that link wasn't any place on any page. I did however manage to get into the admin page by typing the ip address/install and it took me right to it.

As for going back to the website, thanks....
Dan
Unless you created another group with Admin privileges, the only users in the group Administrators would be able to see and access the Administrator Control Panel.

What account did you first use when you installed phpBB? You need to login to that account and it should have a red username by default.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
timlab55

Post by timlab55 »

You guys have made a dream come true, and for that I thank you. I found the admin page and started to work on it. Where would the docs be for this, as all I'm doing right now is just browsing around?

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

look way up at the top of this page. there is a big menu bar that has one drop down for support.
the first link in there is for the documentation . just about any question you could have has been asked and answered in the different menu items available there.

luck and have fun.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
timlab55

Post by timlab55 »

I've read all the docs (mostly just high-speed reading) and I'm sure I missed a lot. But my 2nd question is this, where does the Phpbb store all the personal info (when you sign up)? The reason why I ask is that I have a page that already does this for the site. I would like to take that info and copy it over to the phpBB so that the user isn't inputting the information twice. I guess I'm asking which database this info stored in?

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

using your ftp, find your board files. the one named config.php is the file you want.

open it in a good text editor only. your database name will be listed there.

then, use your hosting control panel and access phpmyadmin. you will find a database with that name.

you need to explain a little better exactly what you want to do with the other users or what you are trying to do.

it is certainly possible to combine the users but is not quick and easy.

robert

timlab55

Post by timlab55 »

Well, I'm very impressed with the coding. It must have taken a least 1 or 2 years just to start it. Whoever did this, is way beyond my scope of knowing PHP. I don't think I can merge both my contact form and your form for users into one.
Thanks for the info.
Dan

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”