Why BOTS groups exist?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Why BOTS groups exist?

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:44 pm
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:26 am No, I mean they shouldn't be counted as "registered" users on the online list. Bots by default are only in the bots user group, as they should be.
Ah, OK, I misunderstood.
Yep, agreed that separating them from the "human" members in the online list makes sense.
My bad, my prior post wasn't very clear.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

What about if i present my session like a bot, since i know defaults into phpBB db, and you do not want me see your forum? Could be possible?
I assume yes.
Bots are and should be may considered like guests.
The fact that they are counted like guests users into the online list can by the way be a good reason to distinguish.
May this is the reason?
Yep, agreed that separating them from the "human" members in the online list makes sense.
[EDITED]
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

axe70 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:45 pm What about if i present my session like a bot, since i know defaults into phpBB db, and you do not want me see your forum? Could be possible?
I assume yes.
Surely you know how to spoof your IP and user agent.
However, an unknown bot (I suspect) will probably be seen as a guest.

That's the whole point of the BOTS group.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:23 am
axe70 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:45 pm What about if i present my session like a bot, since i know defaults into phpBB db, and you do not want me see your forum? Could be possible?
I assume yes.
Surely you know how to spoof your IP and user agent.
However, an unknown bot (I suspect) will probably be seen as a guest.

That's the whole point of the BOTS group.
Most bots in stock phpBB use user-agent only to identify them, not IP. That being said, yes, unrecognized bots come up as guests, though I try to quickly add them as bots in the ACP.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

From a technical point recognizing a bot will merge all its different sessions into one. The bot group helps by having even more ways to identify bots.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

AmigoJack wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:59 pm From a technical point recognizing a bot will merge all its different sessions into one. The bot group helps by having even more ways to identify bots.
Yeah, I like that about the bots group. Plus, it shows how much the board is being indexed by search engines and other services, and I can view the last time a bot indexed my board right from the ACP.

How much do I need to mess up my English to get mentioned in your sig? :P

Return to “phpBB Discussion”