500 Error editing, replying to, quoting, etc.

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
richxrich
Name: Rich

500 Error editing, replying to, quoting, etc.

Post by richxrich »

Hello,

I just completed the update from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8. After updating the board, I also updated some outdated extensions to their respective versions.

I've been testing the board after the update and I've been getting some errors of unknown origin.

When I'm in a topic and trying to reply, quote, or edit a post, I get this error:
This page isn’t working
forum.sfbaaps.org is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500
Edit2: this error also happens when attempting to create new topic.

The odd thing is that the backup board that I set up to test on a separate subdomain does not throw this same error, so I'm a little stumped as to where to begin looking to fix this error.

I've also been getting a separate error which points to an extension that I've already disabled, deleted data, and removed from the /ext folder.

The error:

Code: Select all

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/ext/paybas/breadcrumbmenu/event/listener.php on line 286: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4149: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3027)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4149: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3027)
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I'm on PHP 7.4 if that has any bearing on these errors.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
janus_zonstraal

Re: 500 Error editing, replying to, quoting, etc.

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Try to clear the cache (again)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

Cache purged, but unfortunately, no change.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

You should check the error logs at your host to try to find the cause of the problem. This is the basis for diagnosing 500 errors, and it allows you to know the exact problem in the majority of cases...
Technically, it was PHP that wasn't sending anything back to the web server, so it was throwing a 500 error.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.8 | PHP: 8.1.12
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

I was attempting to edit a post by a member and got this from error.log:

[Mon Oct 31 13:52:46.895994 2022] [fcgid:warn] [pid 432221:tid 3944314447616] [client 192.184.196.28:53746] mod_fcgid: stderr: #6 /home/dh_rjxduk/forum.sfbaaps.org/vendor/twig/twig/src/Template.php(333):  in /home/dh_rjxduk/forum.sfbaaps.org/styles/prosilver/template/posting_editor.html on line 207, referer: https://forum.sfbaaps.org/viewtopic.php?p=171281
Am I reading this correctly that it has something to do with the prosilver style?
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

richxrich wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:31 am I just completed the update from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8
However the version of the prosilver style on your forum is 3.3.4 and not 3.3.8
Try the update by using this method: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.8 | PHP: 8.1.12
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

ssl wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:09 pm
richxrich wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:31 am I just completed the update from 3.3.4 to 3.3.8
However the version of the prosilver style on your forum is 3.3.4 and not 3.3.8
Try the update by using this method: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... date_full/
I forgot to mention, I reverted back to 3.3.4 after I couldn't access the ACP on 3.3.8 (not sure what happened there either).

The editing error wasn't a problem prior to the update to 3.3.8, but it is now presenting on 3.3.4.

It looks like I've got a host of other problems to understand and fix as well. Frankly, I'm scared of trying to update to 3.3.8. again; I don't want to brick my board again. It's happened once before.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

as long as you make complete backups , files and database, you can't kill it so bad that a couple of clicks and a little time can't fix it.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

What should I be looking for now? What are my next steps?
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:49 pm as long as you make complete backups , files and database, you can't kill it so bad that a couple of clicks and a little time can't fix it.

robert
this is the way! learned my lesson the hard way. :)
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

Bump. Still trying to figure this out.

Based on the info from the error log, how do I go about debugging the error? Is there a fix?
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

You have an

re -->
at the end of your overall header.

Your registration page seems to have some modifications, since it is giving errors before it is transmitted.

If we knew what PHP error you are getting we might have some idea of your problem.
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

Brf wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 pm You have an

re -->
Where are you seeing this? Are you looking at the source code on the Index page?
Your registration page seems to have some modifications, since it is giving errors before it is transmitted.
We have some specific criteria for members when they sign up, so I changed some of the wording in one of the files as a hint to help new registrations. I'll have to test the registration process. I haven't heard of anyone having problems registering until now.
If we knew what PHP error you are getting we might have some idea of your problem.
So far, the only error we're seeing are the http: 500 errors. Need to get that resolved first... or it's all tied together. I definitely need some guidance to get there.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

richxrich wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:14 am
Brf wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:12 pm You have an

re -->
Where are you seeing this? Are you looking at the source code on the Index page?
sfbaaps.jpg
sfbaaps.jpg (8.16 KiB) Viewed 567 times
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

richxrich wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:14 am So far, the only error we're seeing are the http: 500 errors. Need to get that resolved first... or it's all tied together. I definitely need some guidance to get there.
The HTTP-500 means that there are PHP errors. You need to find the errorlog to see what those errors are.
richxrich

Post by richxrich »

warmweer wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:16 am
richxrich wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:14 am Where are you seeing this? Are you looking at the source code on the Index page?
sfbaaps.jpg
I have no clue where this "re -->" is coming from. I didn't make any modifications to the index.php file.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”