ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
matjazv

Re: ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Post by matjazv »

I install a clean version of phpbb and notice that there is difference between upgraded version and clean install for Admin user in UCP->Usergroups, see screenshots bellow. It seems that groups are selected in different way; see red arrow on screenshots - on not-working setup there is no radio checkbox infront of group name. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this??

This is clean install, ACP works
working.png
This is upgrade, ACP is not accessible
not_working.png
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

That radio button only shows when you have admin permissions and can change a user's default group. Apparently your user does not have those permissions. Go into your users table in phpMyadmin and blank out your user's permissions column. When you log back in, it should rebuild the permissions.
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Brf wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:33 pm That radio button only shows when you have admin permissions and can change a user's default group. Apparently your user does not have those permissions. Go into your users table in phpMyadmin and blank out your user's permissions column. When you log back in, it should rebuild the permissions.
Hi, thanks for your response. I did what you suggested - now I have radio buttons - but still cannot access ACP. Still have get this (Access to the Administration Control Panel is not allowed as you do not have administrative permissions.) message when trying to enter the http://bb.domain.com/adm/index.php?&sid=b82f0... page.
Any other idea?
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can’t get to the ACP by using the url you have to use the link(s) provided.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:11 am You can’t get to the ACP by using the url you have to use the link(s) provided.
Yes, link should be at the bottom of the page, under the footer - but there is no such link there, so I used same link from old board - with sid from new board, just for testing.
Screenshot 2022-11-14 101402.png
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Do you have the link at the top of the page in between FAQ and MCP? (assuming prosilver)
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:19 am Do you have the link at the top of the page in between FAQ and MCP?
No, no link to admin panel there...
Screenshot 2022-11-14 102047.png
Screenshot 2022-11-14 102047.png (9.07 KiB) Viewed 575 times
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It seems that whatever user you’re using doesn’t have admin permissions.

Try this:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin.

From that point you should be able to get into the ACP.

Code: Select all

INSERT INTO phpbb_users (user_type, group_id, username, username_clean, user_regdate, user_password, user_email, user_lang, user_style, user_rank, user_colour, user_posts, user_permissions, user_ip, user_birthday, user_lastpage, user_last_confirm_key, user_post_sortby_type, user_post_sortby_dir, user_topic_sortby_type, user_topic_sortby_dir, user_avatar, user_sig, user_sig_bbcode_uid, user_jabber, user_actkey, user_newpasswd) VALUES (3, 5, 'Admin1', 'admin1', 0, '21232f297a57a5a743894a0e4a801fc3', 'admin@example.com', 'en', 1, 1, 'AA0000', 1, '', '', '', '', '', 't', 'a', 't', 'd', '', '', '', '', '', '');
Change your table prefix if it is not phpbb_

See Executing SQL Queries in phpMyAdmin if you are unfamiliar with running database queries.

As soon as you have done this, use the temporary admin account to change the details on the original admin account, then delete the temporary account.

This is because:
  1. anyone could use that account to log in to your board if you didn't change the password.
  2. this temporary user has not been fully set up (e.g. it is not a member of the "Registered users" group, so it won't have normal access to your forums).
To remove the account you will first need to remove founder status from it:

ACP> USERS AND GROUPS tab> Manage Users> Admin1> Overview> Founder = No
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:26 am It seems that whatever user you’re using doesn’t have admin permissions.

Try this:

In phpMyAdmin, run the following, which will create an admin user named Admin1 with a password of admin.
Hi, thank you very much for your answer. I already done this... in fact that was the first thing I did - everything I post here is done with this Admin1 user.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Ok sorry, I didn’t read back. So, you are in the ACP ok with the admin1 account? Does your regular admin user show up in the teams page?

As a test have you got another user you can make an admin/founder, even a new user created temporarily will do?
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:54 am Ok sorry, I didn’t read back. So, you are in the ACP ok with the admin1 account? Does your regular admin user show up in the teams page?
No, I'am not in the ACP - I can't get in even with Admin1 account.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can try uploading a fresh ADM folder from the download package.
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:01 am You can try uploading a fresh ADM folder from the download package.
Did that, still same situation...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Hmm, I’m not sure of any real fix for this now atm, I find it odd that the admin1 account won’t even let you access the ACP, I’ve never known it to fail in the past. Have you got a local server set up on your desktop machine? If so you could try doing the upgrade on that to see if that works?
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:29 am Hmm, I’m not sure of any real fix for this now atm, I find it odd that the admin1 account won’t even let you access the ACP, I’ve never known it to fail in the past. Have you got a local server set up on your desktop machine? If so you could try doing the upgrade on that to see if that works?
I see... new, upgraded board is set up on Windows server 2019, old one is on Windows 2012 server. Maybe just for information (I mention that on previous posts): user authentication is done by ldap... when I copied db on new server I manualy changed auth setting in phpbb_config table (from "ldap" do "db") so I could user temporary Admin1 account.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”