ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
matjazv

Re: ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Post by matjazv »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:29 am Hmm, I’m not sure of any real fix for this now atm, I find it odd that the admin1 account won’t even let you access the ACP, I’ve never known it to fail in the past. Have you got a local server set up on your desktop machine? If so you could try doing the upgrade on that to see if that works?
In mean time I tried many different approach to upgrade board... even created user Admin1 on old board, changed auth_method to db before updating, but it seems that admin users just loose their admin permissions during database update.

Can please someone from phpBB support take a deeper look in this problem??

Thank you very much!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

If you can send me a link (per PM) where I can download the database (of your 3.0.14), I'll have a look at it tomorrow morning.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Very strange!
I've tried just about everything I could think of.
The board was a 3.0.11.
Whatever I tried:

Creating a founder with the STK on 3.0.11 (and also on a copy updated to 3.0.14), created an emergency admin on 3.0.11 and (also on another copy updated to 3.0.14 (in all cases before changing auth method to db (and also deleting the other fields related to ldap). In those cases the emergency admin has ACP access.
After upgrading to 3.3.8 those emergency founders have no more access to the ACP, and also the emergency founder created after upgrading, has no access to the ACP. ( I even added that EF to the Administrator group)

Next thing I'll try is to create a new 3.0.11 board (without ldap) and compare with the ldap board then import the data from the original 3.0.11 (only in existing fields).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Thank you very much for your effort!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

matjazv wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:03 am ...
Thank you very much for your effort!
No thanks necessary, it an intriguing case and I want to get to the bottom of this. It can't be a cache problem as I've deleted board and browser cache (and even used multiple browsers).

First thing I'll try is to upgrade to 3.1.0 end then do incremental updates to find out exactly in which version the problem arises.

[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:18 am First thing I'll try is to upgrade to 3.1.0 end then do incremental updates to find out exactly in which version the problem arises.
I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing this, but it may not be an error that is caused by a specific version. It could be a unique setting or process on OP's server that corrupted something in the database. He also switched servers which may have something to do with it.

Are your test boards using OP's old database?
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

An attempt at an alternative phpBB3 Refugees site: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:50 pm Are your test boards using OP's old database?
a 3.0.11
Unfortunately I have no experience with ldap (but for my recent trials), so I'm practically nightflying with no compas nor altimeter.

[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:25 pm
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:50 pm Are your test boards using OP's old database?
a 3.0.11
Unfortunately I have no experience with ldap (but for my recent trials), so I'm practically nightflying with no compas nor altimeter.
At this point, I would see if it is possible to undo the upgrade. It's better having an outdated board than one with a completely non-functional ACP. Unless his new server does not have the required php version installed, or will soon uninstall it, which is a real possibility.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

An attempt at an alternative phpBB3 Refugees site: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I and warmweer spoke via PM and it appears the issue is due to IDAP. The idea I would consider trying is using something like XAMPP and enabling IDAP and seeing if it can then be turned off in the ACP of the offline server. Then starting from scratch with the resulting IDAP-disabled database.
Make sure you keep a copy of the original database in case it doesn't go right.

If all else fails, unfortunately, it may be best to archive your old board and start from scratch. Not the ideal situation, but it may be the only one.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:31 pm ...
If all else fails, unfortunately, it may be best to archive your old board and start from scratch. Not the ideal situation, but it may be the only one.
That last thought is not one I would consider at this time (yet).

viewtopic.php?p=10299855#p10299855

in that post, there's
Preferred method
Are you able to login to the board? If you can, go to the Administration Panel and click Authentication.
Select Db from the dropdown.
That is actually what I was planning on trying to do after realising that changing the value directly in the database wouldn't invoke any procedure which may be needed to reset some other configuration. This is based on the hope that setting the auth_method back from ldap to db doesn't require any kind of response from the ldap server (that's still a question mark for me).

[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:11 pmThat last thought is not one I would consider at this time (yet).
Hence, "if all else fails" and only if all else fails. ;)

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:31 pm
warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:11 pmThat last thought is not one I would consider at this time (yet).
Hence, "if all else fails" and only if all else fails. ;)
The classic reply: Failure is not an option 8-) (sooner rather than later I'll probably have to eat those words).

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Here is step-by-step procedure which I used. As you can see change from LDAP to DB is done in ACP (I also thought that some procedures might get invoked by changing auth method).

---preparing
1. export db
2. import db to new server
3. copy old board files to new server
4. edit config.php, settings for new db server
5. in phpbb_config change fields cookie_domain, cookie_name and server_name to new values
6. set php version to 7.3.11 (8+ returns 500 error)
8. login with my normal admin account
8. remove slovenian language from board, only british english is installed
9. remove style subsilver2, only prosilver is installed
10. have no MODs installed so I don't use stk
11. in ACP change auth method to db (cannot login with my normal user any more)
12. create Admin1 user directly on db
have to add empty string for fields user_occ, user_interests
13. login with Admin1 user - acp is accessible
---upgrading
14. delete old files except folders: images, files and store and file config.php
15. copy new from phpbb388, except folders; images, files and store and file config.php
16. change php version to 8.1.3
17. set permissions on cache folder
18. run /install
19. click Update->Update->Submit - get all green - and link "take me to the ACP"
20. Admin1 have no access to ACP.
Last edited by Mick on Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

matjazv wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:36 am 18. run /install
19. click Update->Update->Submit - get all green - and link "take me to the ACP"
20. Admin1 have no access to ACP.
Have you delete install folder after the update?
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[GitHub] - [Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

If the install folder was in place there'd only be ACP access.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”