The coveted GREEN CHECKMARK ✅ in a custom profile field (parody of a social media site)

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Fogbow_Foggy

The coveted GREEN CHECKMARK ✅ in a custom profile field (parody of a social media site)

Post by Fogbow_Foggy »

This is not a support request, but something I devised that is popular with my users, so I am passing on a quick idea.

I created (ACP -> Users and Groups -> Custom profile fields) a custom profile field called "Verified" and gave it the green checkmark ✅ and allowed users to add 64 characters of text.

Mine says:
Verified: ✅ Didn't have to pay $8
Others have become verified curmudgeons, bloviators, etc.

Just a fun thing, and if your users discuss what's going on with Twitter and Elon Musk, you can have fun with it.
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to phpbb discussion
In my defense, I was left unsupervised.
[Dimetrodon]

Re: The coveted GREEN CHECKMARK ✅ in a custom profile field (parody of a social media site)

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Thanks, I was thinking about doing something like this.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
GTI
Name: Laura

Re: The coveted GREEN CHECKMARK ✅ in a custom profile field (parody of a social media site)

Post by GTI »

Does anyone know why phpBB changes the emoji when parsing it?

The emoji in the subject is displayed differently to the emoji in the post, In the editor when composing a message they are the same, but once the post is posted they become different.

In a post they are different to the subject line. ✅

In a quote tag they are different to the subject line.
✅

In a code tag they are the same as the subject line.

Code: Select all

In an inline code tag they are the same as the subject line.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
halil16
Name: Halil

Post by halil16 »

If people knew that social media sites are like forums, but more advanced, they wouldn't buy it for $8.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
GTI

Post by GTI »

halil16 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:56 pm If people knew that social media sites are like forums, but more advanced, they wouldn't buy it for $8.
They would, people think having a tick besides their name makes them 'a someone' when they first started appearing on Twitter people were like 'I want one' and trying everything to get one, it makes them feel like their Tweets are important and at the same time makes viewers more likely to think they are a trusted source.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
halil16

Post by halil16 »

GTI wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:21 am They would, people think having a tick besides their name makes them 'a someone' when they first started appearing on Twitter people were like 'I want one' and trying everything to get one, it makes them feel like their Tweets are important and at the same time makes viewers more likely to think they are a trusted source.
I know, but since it is something that can be bought with money in Twitter, it has lost its value. Except for Twitter, the same importance continues. I also pay attention to this on my site. I'm verifying accounts that meet certain criteria, that seem to represent a real human being.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

halil16 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:56 pm If people knew that social media sites are like forums, but more advanced, they wouldn't buy it for $8.
I wouldn't even call them more advanced. phpBB can easily be the basis for a large social media site especially if a non-forum like theme were to be applied.

The only thing more "advanced" are the shady things large commercial social media sites want to do with your personal data.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
GTI

Post by GTI »

halil16 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:28 am I know, but since it is something that can be bought with money in Twitter, it has lost its value. Except for Twitter, the same importance continues. I also pay attention to this on my site. I'm verifying accounts that meet certain criteria, that seem to represent a real human being.
Rather than use a badge to verify that someone is a human being - would it not be easier to just delete all the non human beings?

halil16

Post by halil16 »

GTI wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:54 pm Rather than use a badge to verify that someone is a human being - would it not be easier to just delete all the non human beings?
Not like that. Users are all human anyway. But I'm talking about those who fill out their profile as if they represent a real person, upload their avatar and enter other information, and show a certain period of activity.

Just like Twitter and Instagram once did. But the only difference is that you don't have to be famous.

Also, it has a charm. :)
I'm learning English...
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

my question is how to your or twitter etc. think they can actually verify if someone is who they say they are?

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about those silly verification badges. I would worry about getting more good content and therefore more
quality members making more quality posts etc.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:05 pm I wouldn't even call them more advanced. phpBB can easily be the basis for a large social media site especially if a non-forum like theme were to be applied.
I agree with that. All the work lies in the theme and some functionality.
[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:05 pm The only thing more "advanced" are the shady things large commercial social media sites want to do with your personal data.
I used to "like" i cat videos so that the algorithm would show me cat videos. :)
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:05 am I would worry about getting more good content and therefore more
quality members making more quality posts etc.
Very true. It should be seen as an award given to those who produce quality content and not as a fake account, but to those who do not hide what they are.
I'm learning English...
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

There's a customisation for that.

You're welcome. ;)
halil16

Post by halil16 »

danieltj wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:44 pm <font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Bunun için bir özelleştirme var. </font></font>

<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Rica ederim. ;)</font></font>
This extension has benefited a lot from a topic I created for support a long time ago.
Mannix_ wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:04 am
With @Mannix_'s help, I had done exactly what I wanted.

It looks like she used the code and management of @Mannix_.

Of course, I did a lot of work to make it look better with a lot of customizations afterwards:

1212.jpg
1212.jpg (5.33 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
I'm learning English...

Return to “phpBB Discussion”