phpBB security

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Hervé
Name: Rudy

phpBB security

Post by Hervé »

Hi,
Some members of my board complain of receiving emails containing private information which is in their profiles, for example the date of birth, the city of residence, ...
Are bots able to read this profile information ?
What information are bots able to collect ?
How secure is phpBB ?
[Dimetrodon]

Re: phpBB security

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Hello.

ACP > Users & Groups > Group Permissions > Bots > "Can view profiles, memberlist and online list" set that to No. Do the same thing for Guests if you don't want them seeing profiles.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Hervé

Post by Hervé »

It was on YES, Thanks a lot.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Hervé wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:42 pm It was on YES, Thanks a lot.
No problem.

Just curious, how were your members receiving emails? Did a spammer register and send them emails or were the emails entirely external?
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Hervé

Post by Hervé »

At the beginning of the board we had a lot of fake accounts, we don't have any since I installed a rebus (list to sort) and a Captcha.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Good to hear. :D

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”