I set up a free forum with uhostfull can my forum be seen all over the world? And can it show up first in Google search?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
Ercan Yılın

I set up a free forum with uhostfull can my forum be seen all over the world? And can it show up first in Google search?

Post by Ercan Yılın »

I set up a free phpbb forum with uhostfull. I added my forum extension to Google. When I open my forum to the internet traffic network, can my forum be seen all over the world? And can it show up first in Google search results?
[Dimetrodon]

Re: I set up a free forum with uhostfull can my forum be seen all over the world? And can it show up first in Google sea

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Do you have a working link to your board you can post here? If we can access it, that would be an indication if it can be seen "all over the world."

As for getting it on google, this page should be of use: https://search.google.com/search-console/about

Google chooses whether to show it based on the site's content and if the algorithm deems it relevant.

[Edited]
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
GTI
Name: Laura

Re: I set up a free forum with uhostfull can my forum be seen all over the world? And can it show up first in Google sea

Post by GTI »

Yep, forums using hosted on a free host can reach the top of Googles search results.

However, even people that pay for their hosting struggle to get to number one on Google, it depends on how many other forums there are about the same subject in your country, if it's a popular subject it's a struggle.

Some free hosts stick loads of adverts on your site though so watch out for companies like that.

For others wanting to do similar...
The free host I usually use for testing is: https://www.biz.nf/ and a free domain can be gotten here: https://www.freenom.com/en/index.html
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
Ercan Yılın

Post by Ercan Yılın »

Thank you very much. Some users on the site named quora said that free sites cannot be viewed as much as paid sites. That's why I asked here.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Ercan Yılın wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:09 am Some users on the site named quora said that free sites cannot be viewed as much as paid sites.
It depends on the host, but it is a given that free hosting plans will not grant you access to the best servers they have. If you get swamped with lots of users, then it could be a problem with your hosts artificial resource limitations, but most forum sites are not that large.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

And, most importantly, make sure you can have a copy of the database and files before you get too carried away spending days setting it up. Most free hosts don’t give out databases or try to make you pay for the service.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and of course the reason for having a database backup is that is where all the posts, members, settings etc. are kept.
you can lose all of the files for phpBB but as long as you have a database backup you can just download new files and reinstall using your database backup.

and chances are good that your free forum provider will just disappear some day with no warning and you will lose it all.
so, make regular backups of the database just in case you need it.

luck,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Yes, and of course, if you can make backups copy those backups to your computer or a stick. If the server disappears you should be good to go again.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Don't forget to backup anything non-default that was uploaded (e.g. /images, /files)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:14 pm Yes, and of course, if you can make backups copy those backups to your computer or a stick. If the server disappears you should be good to go again.
Honestly, I don't think that is the case anymore. "Free" hosts aren't free hosts, but just have a free option with heavy restrictions. Usually, the restrictions are placed on storage space, where you have enough for a phpBB board and posts, but nowhere near enough to allow the hosting of additional images, requiring the disabling of attachments. File hosting is also out of the question.

But hey, if you pay around two dollars a month, you can get a lot more, which many people ultimately do.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”