Why we need to upload more files when update to 3.3.9 from 3.3.8 using advanced update

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
maplexxx

Why we need to upload more files when update to 3.3.9 from 3.3.8 using advanced update

Post by maplexxx »

Why don't just put those files into the advanced update package?
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Why we need to upload more files when update to 3.3.9 from 3.3.8 using advanced update

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

maplexxx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:17 pm Why don't just put those files into the advanced update package?
My server allows for the files to be written directly to the disk, something your server probably does not support. It's to keep any code modifications you have done to your files, so they're custom. That's why.

Upload the files you've "downloaded" from the installer and upload them into your phpBB directory via FTP and update the database. Please read this as well: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... _advanced/
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
maplexxx

Re: Why we need to upload more files when update to 3.3.9 from 3.3.8 using advanced update

Post by maplexxx »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:22 pm
maplexxx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:17 pm Why don't just put those files into the advanced update package?
My server allows for the files to be written directly to the disk, something your server probably does not support. It's to keep any code modifications you have done to your files, so they're custom. That's why.

Upload the files you've "downloaded" from the installer and upload them into your phpBB directory via FTP and update the database. Please read this as well: https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... _advanced/
I think that means the advanced update package does not have any updates, but a program for comparing different versions?.
Last edited by maplexxx on Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

maplexxx wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:49 pmI think that means the advanced update package does not have any updates, but a program for comparing different versions?
No, it does. It contains updated information on the files that need to be updated and it compares them to your modified files, then creates new updated files that contain your custom changes alongside updated phpBB code.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”