Phorum to phpBB convertor

Converting from other board software? Good decision! Need help? Have a question about a convertor? Wish to offer a convertor package? Post here.
cactux

Phorum to phpBB convertor

Post by cactux »

Hello,

I am looking for a Phorum to phpBB convertor.
The one I found is quite old (2009!) and I could not make it work (here: viewtopic.php?f=65&t=1690005).

The goal of this message is to have your feedback on the text below. It is not a call for a developer yet.
I'd like to hire a developer to code it (I plan to use a freelance platform to find him, I'll also post in the Wanted! section).

Please find below the text I plan to use for this search. What do you think? Did I forget something?
How long does it take to code such a convertor? Which cost should I expect? (i.e. how much should I propose when posting in the Wanted! section?)

Thanks
Yann

Phorum to phpBB convertor specifications
Hello,

We are a non-profit society looking for a PHP developer, to code a Phorum to phpBB convertor.
Please find below the needs, so you can estimate the cost of development. Do not hesitate to ask questions for more details, and tell me if I forgot something.

End goal: have a fully functional Phorum to phpBB convertor.
The code must be open source and can be hosted in the developer’s github (or similar repo) if he wants to add it to his portfolio. The code must be proposed to phpBB community for integration in their code base (of course it will be up to them to accept it or not). I can do it if you don’t want to.

Data to migrate:
  • basic data: forums, groups, users, messages (including attachments, smileys and formatting), privileges.
  • advanced data: preferences, private messages, private message folders, subscriptions, friends.
  • data not necessary: changes in messages (previous version of edited messages).
In addition to the convertor tool, a clean way to redirect requests to pages of the old forum must be provided (301 redirect). It means that some information about the old forum must be kept to be able to redirect to the new URL. For example, https://www.example.com/forum-old/read. ... 337,871157 would answer the browser with a HTTP 301 Moved Permanently to https://www.example.com/forum-new/viewt ... p?p=754624 or similar.

After migration, Phorum tables can be safely removed. If keeping data is needed (for redirects for example), a clean and properly named table or file can be created.
Convertor must be compatible with PHP 7 (as Phorum is not compatible with PHP 8).
Convertor must work for both phpBB and phpBB-fr versions.
Convertor must work for the latest major releases of both forums (Phorum 5.2.23 and phpBB 3.3.9).

Once a cost will be agreed upon, we will launch a crowdfunding and as soon as the funds will be harvested you’ll be informed so you can start.
Communication between us can be done in English or in French. English is a must to be able to interact with phpBB developers on phpbb.com for the questions probably needed during development.

About us: we are a non profit society of plant enthusiasts! More specifically desert plants such as cacti and succulents. The forum to convert currently holds 860.000 messages (21 GB of attached files) and has more than 19.000 users. It can be browsed on our website:
Au Cactus Francophone : http://www.cactuspro.com/
ftsservice

Re: Phorum to phpBB convertor

Post by ftsservice »

Where are you so far with this, and do you need a developer yet? I recently converted a large car forum from Phorum 5.x to phpBB 3.3, including about 20GB of attachments, with a custom converter I wrote.
cactux

Post by cactux »

Hi,

I found a developer, the work is in progress, thanks for asking :)
Is your converter available somewhere?
Au Cactus Francophone : http://www.cactuspro.com/
ftsservice

Post by ftsservice »

No, my converter is not public, it's part of a service. :-)

Return to “[3.3.x] Convertors”