Beginner Questions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
rabo

Beginner Questions

Post by rabo »

Hi, community!
I am responsible for a new forum that will be created soon. The forum will be about a medical/psychiatric topic, therefore we need 100% security on all data. Generally, I am a fan of (self-hosted) open-source therefore I also consider phpBB as a possible solution. Nevertheless, we are also thinking about the use of "Woltlab". Could you please answer my questions for more information before we decide?

1) What we need is a "simple" forum. We will have (maybe) up to 5.000 or 10.000 active members, it will definitely be not a small forum. But we do not need a lot of functions. We need:
- Topics/ forums differentiated by topics such as "Jazz", "Opera", "Classical", "Pop" etc. in a music forum.
- Users can write PMs
- Users can upload images
- There is a search function
- a simple (responsive) Design that can be adapted by using CSS
- Very important: Each user has a personal area where he can store personal information. That information can be visible to everybody or only partly visible to persons depending on their position in the hierarchy. (Admins see everything, persons on level A see nearly everything, and persons on level B see just the basic information.) You can filter the member's area and look e.g. for people with a certain name or from a certain area

I guess this is all possible for doing with phpBB. Or not? Please tell me.

And then I also need to find experts that can help me in installing everything. I am quite good at CSS and PHP, but I do not have enough time to do everything alone.
**solicitation deleted**

Thank you!
rabo
halil16
Name: Halil

Re: Beginner Questions

Post by halil16 »

Hi,
An infinite number of categories, forums, sub-forums, etc. can be created in phpBB. You can arrange or change them in any hierarchy you want.

phpBB has a pretty nice search function. The only priest is Google. Of course you can also integrate Google Search.

phpBB has different themes/styles. You can choose one and arrange it however you want like I did.

phpBB is an actively developed and updated system. I personally think it is successful in terms of security. Even you cannot see the passwords of the members or read their private messages. You can only change their password; you can also see private messages if they have reported it. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

**solicitation deleted**

Report your decision.
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: Beginner Questions

Post by HiFiKabin »

Can I please remind everyone that it's not allowed to offer payment in any form for assistance in this forum, Please post in the Wanted! forum to request paid assistance

Return to “phpBB Discussion”