mysql -> mysqli template changes?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
netline

mysql -> mysqli template changes?

Post by netline »

Short story: Board went down due to a DBMS issue, I made a configuration change of the dbms to bring board back up, now there are a few visual glitches I'd like to try and resolve.

Question: Is there anything else I should be doing after changing the dbms configuration? Any thoughts on what could be the cause of visual glitches?

Longer Story: This morning my board went down with a general error message:

Code: Select all

'mysql_connect function does not exist, is mysql extension installed'
Figured the hosting service modified server settings unbeknownst to me. In order to fix I did two things:
  • Changed the dbms setting in config.php to use 'mysqli' (eg changed

$dbms = 'mysql';
    to

$dbms = 'mysqli';
  • Cleared board cache
Using the first step above brought board up, and allowed me to login to admin control panel to clear board cache.

There appear to be a few visual glitches after the board came back up (nothing to my knowledge has changed aside from those changes above)
  • The header where quick links, FAQ, private messages, etc...has lost any sense of organization and all items appear to be flattened onto left side
hst1.png
  • The board lists have lost the circular icon on left of board lists
hst2.png
There may be further glitches, but these were the first indication not everything was 100% expected. It's unclear to me how changing the dbms could have resulted in these artifacts, and there appears to be no errors in server php logs or phpbb3 error logs.

Was this the appropriate course of action? Any thoughts on how to rectify? (I would prefer to retain mysqli in the long run)

Phpbb3 Version 3.2.2

EDIT: The host indeed changed php configuration, and has reverted for fix but my question still stands as I'd like to use mysqli given the deprecated/removal status of 'mysql'
Last edited by Mick on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
janus_zonstraal

Re: mysql -> mysqli template changes?

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Question: Is there anything else I should be doing after changing the dbms configuration? Any thoughts on what could be the cause of visual glitches?
No
But better is to upgrade your board to the latest version (3.3.10)
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

netline wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:24 pm ...
EDIT: The host indeed changed php configuration, and has reverted for fix but my question still stands as I'd like to use mysqli given the deprecated/removal status of 'mysql'
What exactly did the host change? PHP version?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
netline

Post by netline »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:40 pm No
But better is to upgrade your board to the latest version (3.3.10)
Good advice, thanks (been putting that one off for a while now, but this just incentivizes even more).
warmweer wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 am What exactly did the host change? PHP version?
Yes. Do not know the exact details regarding version to version
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

netline wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:56 pm Yes. Do not know the exact details regarding version to version
Surely you can find which PHP version is currently set.
If it's not lower than 7.3 then that's most probably the cause of most errors.
If so: either
downgrade the PHP version (not recommended)
or
upgrade to phpBB 3.3.10
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
netline

Post by netline »

Sorry for bumping this, but wanted to post an update just in case anyone else runs across this issue:

For the short term I downgraded php so I could run $dbms='mysql' until a found time to upgrade, but ultimately the suggested advice to upgrade to 3.3.10 (and use $dbms='mysqli') solved the issue.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”