How to install new software with data from an old...

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
cgn1954
Name: C Göran Norlén

How to install new software with data from an old...

Post by cgn1954 »

Hi, my forum has moved into version 3.3.10 but before that my server platform changed from PHP 7 to 8. After that (PHP 8) some functions, for example user administration/search and list, fails. Those functions only results in a blank page, a typically PHP-behaviour when there is a code type o. The 3.3.10 version did not help.

Example, this URL from inside admin results in a blank page, and I do not understand what the "sid" id:
https://www.motessparets.se/adm/index.p ... e=overview

I’ve tried PHP-checkers and to understand how the html-code is created, for example from modules like ucp.php, memberlist.php and find_username – but I cannot understand that, no luck with that… (I’m not a professional hacker).

I’ve posted some questions about this problem here before in this forum but there’s no luck.

So – what I’m thinking is to reinstall the whole forum. What I need – beside the content from the database – is knowledge about:
- which files and/or folders do I have to preserve from the old forum and paste into the new file system?
- after installing a new forum software, including a new database, my plan is to empty the new db and import the old database from a backup – ok?

Are/is there more to think of?

Best Regards /CGN
Best Regards /CGN
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: How to install new software with data from an old...

Post by warmweer »

sid = session_id. It identifies the user (in this case absolutely necessary to verify that the user has permissions to access the acp

There's a DNS error on https://www.motessparets.se/. You need to get that sorted out first (contact your host)

BTW is that the same board as in Blank pages after upgrading to 3.3.9?
That would be strange as you mentioned that the board was running with PHP 8.1

Instead of reinstalling the whole forum, why not restore the latest backup (I take it that you backuped before updating)? and then redo the update following the instructions at Full Package
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

warmweer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 pm sid = session_id. It identifies the user (in this case absolutely necessary to verify that the user has permissions to access the acp
:-) Thank's...
warmweer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 pmThere's a DNS error on https://www.motessparets.se/. You need to get that sorted out first (contact your host)]
Sorry - must have touch an extra key, URL should be https://www.motessparet.se
warmweer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 pmBTW is that the same board as in Blank pages after upgrading to 3.3.9?
That would be strange as you mentioned that the board was running with PHP 8.1
Yes. This all happened (I think in November 2022) with phpBB version 3.3.8 (and PHP 7). It was upgraded to 3.3.9 (3.3.8 was backuped). Just some days later after the 3.3.9 upgrade the webbhost upgraded to PHP8. I had one week to verify it all and I discovered that the 3.3.9 was fully working under PHP7 but not under PHP8. After that week the supplier shut the PHP7 off. I thougt it should not be that difficult to see what upgraded PHP-files that was not correct to PHP8.

It was.
warmweer wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:58 pmInstead of reinstalling the whole forum, why not restore the latest backup (I take it that you backuped before updating)? and then redo the update following the instructions at Full Package
Possible... I'll think about it.
Best Regards /CGN
cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

Are there tools to verify a standard (3.3.x or whatever version) and the file-system regarding to:
  • that all files are there, that no one is missing
  • verifying the contents of all files
Best Regards /CGN
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

cgn1954 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:30 pm Are there tools to verify a standard (3.3.x or whatever version) and the file-system regarding to:
  • that all files are there, that no one is missing
  • verifying the contents of all files
There are various free and paid (some are fully functional for the trial period), allowing full comparison of directories (e.g. your files on your host vs a freshly downloaded phpBB file set (same version)

see https://www.google.com/search?q=file+di ... ison+tools
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

warmweer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:18 pmThere are various free and paid (some are fully functional for the trial period), allowing full comparison of directories (e.g. your files on your host vs a freshly downloaded phpBB file set (same version)

see https://www.google.com/search?q=file+di ... ison+tools
Many thanks warmweer :-)
Best Regards /CGN
cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

So, I compared all php- and html-files between a 3.3.10 filesystem on PHP8 (not working) and a 3.3.10 filesystem on PHP7 (working) regarding ucp -and acp-files and also a couple of index- and important "system"-files. I used WinMerge for comparing and the files are equal.

Also compared the not-working-files with a complete new installation - no differences there either...

I now find this more disturbing than amusing.

The only ding now is that there's a corrupt issue there in the database... or?
Best Regards /CGN
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Have you tried importing the datase in to a personal server on your PC?

Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

Knowledge Base - Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain

XAMPP and the like are pretty much always capable of running phpBB out of the box.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

Hi... :-)

Now - finally - I've done 2 majors:
(1) I did a total new installation in the production server (a web hosted forum), of course I preserved images, themes and other unique files of the current forum, mostly images/pictures.
(2) I made a total forum copy to my own server that had PHP7 where the forum works, upgraded to PHP8 - the forum fails.

Well-one: The problem is still there after step (1), using forum user-tools (such as search user) it gives a blank page (a typical PHP-fault at code errors). It surprised me really sinced I thought the main issue was some code/function that was corrupt and not working en PHP8 but in PHP7. After a total clean and a new installation I did not expect the problem to be current any more.

Well-two: After having exact the same situation (the forum works fine in PHP7 but not in PHP8) and after installation PHP8 on my personal server (Red Hat - On Prem) I could enable debugging. The problem is that the result is too complicaded for an amatuer to interprete... Here's the output of the httpd-log:

Code: Select all

[Mon Mar 27 22:34:31.943048 2023] [php:error] [pid 7485] [client 192.168.54.254:53375] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught ValueError: The arguments array must contain 2 items, 1 given in /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/phpbb/language/language.php:313\nStack trace:\n#0 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/phpbb/language/language.php(313): vsprintf('L\\xC3\\xB6senordet m\\xC3\\xA5...', Array)\n#1 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/phpbb/language/language.php(245): phpbb\\language\\language->lang_array('PASS_TYPE_ALPHA...', Array)\n#2 [internal function]: phpbb\\language\\language->lang('PASS_TYPE_ALPHA...', '6 tecken')\n#3 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/phpbb/user.php(462): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)\n#4 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/includes/acp/acp_users.php(1132): phpbb\\user->lang('PASS_TYPE_ALPHA...', '6 tecken')\n#5 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/includes/functions_module.php(676): acp_users->main('users', 'overview')\n#6 /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/adm/index.php(81): p_master->load_active()\n#7 {main}\n  thrown in /webb_sidor01/motessparet/public_html/phpbb/language/language.php on line 313, referer: https://motessparet.cgn.se/adm/index.php?sid=26a710749bc33878224c265ecc0b29c5&i=12
Note: All PHP-codes/functions mentioned in the error output are run through a PHP code checker with no results ("No issues found") except for one module, but the checker gives the same error regardless PHP8, PHP7 or PHP5, I do not think that function is the main problem here...

So if anyone smarter than me could see what phpBB-module/function is to investigate I would be very glad... or have another tip what to do...
Last edited by Mick on Tue Mar 28, 2023 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added code tags for clarity.
Best Regards /CGN
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

If i understand it correctly.. currently there are 2 forums:
1 is running on production server & is working?
2 is running on so-called test server and doesn't work with php8?

What versions of phpBB? Are both the same? How was update done?
Seems like something is not right with language file/s.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

cgn1954 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:13 pm
https://motesparet.cgn.se is not the same as https://www.motessparet.se/ (phpBB 3.3.10) (you don't seem to have a certificate for the cgn.se)

https://motesparet.cgn.se (phpBB 3.3.9) is running on PHP 8.2.4. Is that also the PHP version you're using for https://www.motessparet.se?

Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

https://www.motessparet.se is a nginx server running PHP 8.1.13 & phpBB 3.3.10. Are both servers nginx?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
cgn1954

Post by cgn1954 »

(1) motessparet.se is hosted - the phpBB-forum worked previous fine with PHP7
(2) the hotel uppgraded to PHP8 and cancelled PHP7 - the phpBB (3.3.9 and later 3.3.10) stopped working correctly due to a number of user functions after having PHP8
(3) I copied motessparet.se to my own (test) server motessparet.cgn.se that was still running PHP7 and the forum worked as expected
(4) I made a total new installation (frpm scratch) of motessparet.se (the hosted forum) with 3.3.10 - the problem persists
(5) I upgraded my testserver motessparet.cgn.se with/to PHP8 and the fault now also occured there

I've attached some more details in a PDF-file. The PHP-debug is on but gives nothing...
Attachments
phpbb-strul-230328A.pdf
(308.47 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Best Regards /CGN

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”