If There Was a Section Here for Interpreting phpBB Boards...

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
halil16
Name: Halil

If There Was a Section Here for Interpreting phpBB Boards...

Post by halil16 »

I know this idea will be approached with some caution. But wouldn't it be nice if there was a section here for people to share the forums they've made with phpBB, if people could comment/review them? Maybe this could inspire people and give an indication of how many people are using phpBB. People tell the boards they have established, and they come up with good stories. Maybe they would take it much further with recommendations.

However, some rules must be introduced to prevent this from being abused. For example, a website cannot be shared more than once. Sorted by first post, not last post date. etc.

I think it's an important topic of discussion. what's your say?
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: If There Was a Section Here for Interpreting phpBB Boards...

Post by KevC »

Pretty sure this has been suggested before and was denied because it would just be a spamfest.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
halil16

Post by halil16 »

KevC wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 pm because it would just be a spamfest.
But what if the topic is subject to approval before it's published?
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Then that would require a new forum because you can't set permissions on just a topic. And it still doesn't get around it being a spamfest.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
halil16

Post by halil16 »

I may have made a mistake in my narration. with section, I mean a forum. Okey, i understand.
I'm learning English...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

halil16 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:14 pmgive an indication of how many people are using phpBB
Have a look at this topic from 2007 viewtopic.php?t=546501
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

KevC wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:21 pm Pretty sure this has been suggested before and was denied because it would just be a spamfest.
If it had stringent rules laid out to ensure that only non-commercial, non-profit phpBB boards can be posted, and that no services can be advertised, either in the post or the page the link takes the user to, I think it can be mitigated. I doubt it would be any more spammy than people putting links in their signatures. Only that it would facilitate questions/discussions.

Probably would be a good idea to turn off signatures and post counts in such a forum though. As well as blocking NRUs from posting there.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Mick wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 3:17 pm Have a look at this topic from 2007 viewtopic.php?t=546501
But that's not what I meant. People install or try WordPress for its popularity like phpBB. Of course, this is not the only criterion. But no one cares about the exact number of sites. Maybe a few seconds.

What I mean here is to exchange ideas by sharing people website. Maybe this should have the template like extension forum. Screenshot etc. can be published.

It is also a fact that not every phpBB installed website will be shared.

I think it would be a good thing to exchange ideas and get inspired.
I'm learning English...
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

There is a showcase page by the way
https://www.phpbb.com/showcase/
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

How many phpBB boards ever meet the criteria to be there though?

Also, Ars Technica (which is in the site showcase) no longer runs phpBB.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

KevC wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:09 pm showcase page
But only private forums are added there. At one point, I wanted my own forum (I mean a board, in Turkish it's usually called a forum, forum website, etc.) to be added there; being in harmony with WordPress, having many customizations; I think it could be an example with its qualifications such as being a forum other than English. But it was not accepted. Because my forum wasn't very big. I agree. I will apply again when I have a million posts or 100 thousand members.

As you can see, a user cannot share something like, "Look, I've setup a forum, what do you think, what would you recommend?"

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:12 pm Also, Ars Technica (which is in the site showcase) no longer runs phpBB.
It has been so for a long time. Now I was getting ready to say it.
I'm learning English...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

halil16 wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:22 pm It has been so for a long time. Now I was getting ready to say it.
Part of the site used a modified phpBB 3.0.x instillation until very recently actually. Though, it was converted to XenForo a few months back.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:26 pm
I know forums built with phpBB, its better than Xenforo. Some websites on the showcase page are also really very beautiful. for inspiration. But this topic is different.

However, I admit that this would be troublesome and not so necessary. Just why not? The main idea is to see more. Not every forum needs to be perfect. Sometimes small touches can make everything beautiful. Maybe a piece of advice will move it board higher.
I'm learning English...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Honestly, I think it would be great if such a forum existed on this site.

I mean, if there's a spam concern, I doubt there would be a need to allow guests and bots to read the forum. Similar to what is already done with profiles, where even if spam gets through, it is useless when it comes to SEO.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

I've toyed with the idea of adding a showcase for phpbb2 boards to Refugees - but the previous posters are right - in general it would be a spam fest. When we used to allow automated referral links on our home page it because a crazy fest - quickly killed that one.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”