unsigned mediumint overflow in phpbb_topic's column - topic_views

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
HaloPolicja

unsigned mediumint overflow in phpbb_topic's column - topic_views

Post by HaloPolicja »

Topic's view count in one of the threads in my forum is dangerously close to reaching the max value of UNSIGNED MEDIUMINT (16777215) in MySQL (8.0) which is the data type for topic_views column in phpbb_topics table. What happens when it reaches the limit and overflows? Can I change the data type in the database to UNSIGNED INT? What are the disadvantages of doing so?

Thank you very much for help.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: unsigned mediumint overflow in phpbb_topic's column - topic_views

Post by Brf »

Views don't really matter. Go into phpmyadmin and reset the number to a smaller value.
HaloPolicja

Post by HaloPolicja »

Instead of reseting views count can I change the data type to unsigned int? I would rather do that to keep my topic's view count as is instead of starting from zero.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

backup the database and then try it to see what happens.
remember, as long as you have backups you can't really hurt the board so bad that it can't be recovered in a few clicks.

I also doubt that the number of views means anything to anybody other than you so why not just do what BRF suggested.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”