Close and take forum offline

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
poppy4

Close and take forum offline

Post by poppy4 »

My forum is on phpbb version 3.3.7. I am planning to close and take it offline. There is a lot of information on it that I would like to be able to access as and when. Please could someone advise if there any way that I can do this without incurring hosting fees? I am now elderly and finding it difficult to get my head around complex things so if there is a simple method, that would be good. Also are there step by step instructions to taking the forum down please?
Thank you.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Close and take forum offline

Post by Mick »

How about running your board on a personal server Knowledge Base - Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server? Make sure you have backups of your live boards files and database.

Theres no particular tutorial for closing down a board as far as I'm aware. What I'd do is about a month before I want to shut down is post an announcement stating your intentions. Then after a week or so I'd disable the board (Board settings) with a short note, maybe with the date of closure. Or you could just close it down ;)
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You can take a backup and install it on your own computer for reference.

Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain
Installing and Setting Up Your Own Web Server

When you're happy it's all there and working, simply delete the database on the host side and the phpBB folder that the board is in.
Or ask your hosts to close it all and they'll do that for you.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
poppy4

Post by poppy4 »

Thank you Mick and Kevin. I will study the links and see if I can manage the procedure myself. Might need to come back if I get stuck.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”