How to seacrh for strings in all files in entire phpBB directory

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
4mpb5

How to seacrh for strings in all files in entire phpBB directory

Post by 4mpb5 »

I know how to search for strings located in any file inside a given directory (or sub directory) of a file system on my pc

But I do not knowhow to do this in a cPanel of a webhost where my phpBB directory is located.

I realize this is not a phpBB question but is a webhost question but most of teh times help desk at webhosts do not know or are not willing to bother to answer such questions. I thought someone here may know since most phpBB forums are hosted on some webhost & many with cPanel

TIA
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: How to seacrh for strings in all files in entire phpBB directory

Post by warmweer »

4mpb5 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 3:55 pm I know how to search for strings located in any file inside a given directory (or sub directory) of a file system on my pc

But I do not knowhow to do this in a cPanel of a webhost where my phpBB directory is located.
You were right in thinking that it's not a phpBB related question.
Surely you can use FTP to open your board directory in a the filemanager you're using, and then perform a text search in that.
Or (the first thing that comes to mind really), just copy your whole board to your PC and then search in that.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
4mpb5

Post by 4mpb5 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:24 pm Surely you can use FTP to open your board directory in a the filemanager you're using, and then perform a text search in that.
I did not think of that but still wondered if anyone knew if it can be done within cPanel of a webhost

warmweer wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:24 pm Or (the first thing that comes to mind really), just copy your whole board to your PC and then search in that.
It did & also it may be a good way to backup your phpBB also LOL
But i am too lazy for now & curious if it can be done within cPanel of a webhost LOL
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

That's not what cPanel is for though. Ask on a cPanel support site but I'll doubt they'll be able to help.

Better to just search the files on your own PC and then when you know which one, edit and upload to overwrite the one on the server.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

phpMyAdmin can search for strings in the posts table.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

Notepad ++ works great for phpbb installation files searching
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

JLA wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 pm Notepad ++ works great for phpbb installation files searching
I know that MODs are supposed to be dead and I should be using extensions, but yeah, notepad++ is how I edit phpBB core files. :geek:
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

JLA wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 pmNotepad ++ works great
Please read the full post. If you know of a hidden Notepad++ feature that does that for remote files then please describe where to find it.
JLA
Name: JLA FORUMS

Post by JLA »

AmigoJack wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 8:15 am
JLA wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:27 pmNotepad ++ works great
Please read the full post. If you know of a hidden Notepad++ feature that does that for remote files then please describe where to find it.
To be honest, the best thing to do is to download a local copy of the files - use the program and then upload the changes once you’re comfortable with them. The software will also work over network shares as well.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you have SSH access you should be able to use grep.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Discussion”