Locally Hosting

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
BigRed01

Locally Hosting

Post by BigRed01 »

I unfortunatley after 20 years of taking care of our clubs forum, we went a different direction, using Facebook. I have locally hosted the forum for testing purposes with things like xammp. I recently restored my forum locally but am having issues with attachments. They look like when the tv stations would sign off at night in 60's-70'.
Screenshot 2023-05-01 132255.jpg
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Locally Hosting

Post by Mick »

How did you restore your board, by what method?

How do the images look if you view them directly in the files folder, are they ok or do they look corrupt as per the one in your post?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

see https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... filezilla/
Although the article specifically refers to Filezilla, the issue is not necessarily limited to Filezilla.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

Mick wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 6:32 pm How did you restore your board, by what method?

How do the images look if you view them directly in the files folder, are they ok or do they look corrupt as per the one in your post?
It appears the files are not even there. Which is very odd. I did a full website gzip download. So everything should be there.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

The files must be there, otherwise you don't get images like above, look in the files folder.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 5:35 am The files must be there, otherwise you don't get images like above, look in the files folder.
I checked the files folder and they are not in there. Not sure why. There are a lot of data files, more than images in that folder.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-05-01 1322551.jpg
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

Those are your images
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

Brf wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:38 pm Those are your images
I undertsnad that. Thanks. Could the version of php i'm on contribute to this?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

BigRed01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:29 pm I undertsnad that. Thanks. Could the version of php i'm on contribute to this?
No, those are images without the extension.
Do you have a backup of those files somewhere? If yes, see if you can view those.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

warmweer wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:49 pm
BigRed01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:29 pm I undertsnad that. Thanks. Could the version of php i'm on contribute to this?
No, those are images without the extension.
Do you have a backup of those files somewhere? If yes, see if you can view those.
No, i do not. I had a har drive failure a while back that last anything that I had previously backed up. I was relaying on the complete back of the website to have all of this info.
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Can you open the files directly in the backup?
If not, there is no (easy) way to restore the images.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

BigRed01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:36 pm There are a lot of data files, more than images in that folder.
You can right click one and select "Open with.." and then select Paint, this assumes you are using Windows.

Another method to test them most of them is copy the entire folder and then you can use Windows command prompt to add .jpg extension.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/add-o ... %20%2A.jpg

Windows will be able to create thumbnails for .jpg files so you can visually inspect them all. Note that files that are not really .jpg will not have thumbnails created.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
BigRed01

Post by BigRed01 »

thecoalman wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:07 pm
BigRed01 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:36 pm There are a lot of data files, more than images in that folder.
You can right click one and select "Open with.." and then select Paint, this assumes you are using Windows.

Another method to test them most of them is copy the entire folder and then you can use Windows command prompt to add .jpg extension.

https://www.top-password.com/blog/add-o ... %20%2A.jpg

Windows will be able to create thumbnails for .jpg files so you can visually inspect them all. Note that files that are not really .jpg will not have thumbnails created.
I gave this a shot and it did not work. It seems the files are corrupted somehow.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”