Experiences with guests posting messages

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
Satusnovus

Experiences with guests posting messages

Post by Satusnovus »

I'm wondering what the experiences are with guests posting to a forum. I've not enabled it yet but I'm considering it to boost the amount of messages at my board. I know I could attract spammers or people who post low quality messages or even trolls could post messages.

I've a lot of members but most of them only read and I've no idea how to change that. For now new accounts only see one advertisement and guests about 3 each page. Accounts with 10 or less messages have an advertisement free forum.

Maybe guest posts could bring more activity at the forum.
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Experiences with guests posting messages

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Guest posting is mainly going to open up new avenues for bots to spam your board.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

They’ll almost certainly attract more activity including you moderating all their spam.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I've often thought that if people can't be bothered to take 60 seconds to register, they're not worth dealing with.

You'll always get people who register to see if there's more they can't see, or they'll subscribe to a topic that has info they want or they just register for every site but they never have an intention of posting, it's just what they do. Every site has it. This one does, all the sites I've had do. Just human nature.

You can't force people to post but you can try and encourage more of it. If they're not posting, maybe you can make some topics that will generate some debate which might tempt them out or general chit-chat type topics on or off topic. What do people do for a living, what film did you watch last night, what music do you like etc. There are also bound to be some 'on topic' things for the forum you can come up with. If you have a core of big posters that can make some feel intimidated, they're not part of the 'clique'. You could make a forum that only people with fewer than, say 100 posts can see and start some things in there to get them going. Anything cheap you could buy (something to do with the site or an amazon voucher) that people could win if they have at least 1 post in the month? Pull the name out of a hat to find the winner.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “phpBB Discussion”