Another British Telecom scam

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Another British Telecom scam

Post by HiFiKabin »

Well, its the same one but a bit more sophisticated than the norm

Just before lunch I took a phone call from an unknown mobile number

"Good afternoon I am calling from BT Technical services about a problem with your broadband, how are you today* (or something broadly similar, speaking with an Indian Sub continent accent, not being racist, just stating the facts)

Hello I thought another scammer.

I tried to wind him up as he kept insisting he was from BT and he was sending me a conformation email. I was no where near the laptop so told him to unwind two paperclips and plug them in to this computer power socket, and hung up.

After lunch I find a BT email in my inbox, start feeling crap for being rude and phone BT on their 150 number to apologise and find out what the problem is.

I get through to the Exeter office, explained the situation and he checked everything.

There are no problems with my broadband

There was no call from them

There was no email sent from them

Plus (as I suspected) they never phone from a mobile number

He has now blocked that mobile number globally.

The actual call had scam written all over it, but the email was so convincing. The to and from address were correct, the content was as I would have expected from a BT email

If I was in a rush, or had been by the laptop at the time, I would have probably been drawn further in but I hope I am savvy enough not to have gone all the way.

Be warned, there are some right b******s out there
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Another British Telecom scam

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I can only imagine what scam calls would be like in the next decade, as AI will certainly lead to scam calls that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Probably even copying the voice of a specific employee and everything.

Return to “General Discussion”