Permissions for guests

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
deninho32

Permissions for guests

Post by deninho32 »

Hello,

I would like to shield a section of my forum from guests. However, I still want the links to remain visible. I have currently adjusted the permissions to achieve this, but I would prefer a different approach. What I would like is for the links to the "hidden" topics to be clickable, and for guests to receive a registration request when they click on them. Currently, the topics are visible but not clickable.
Last edited by Mick on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
phpBB 3.3.7 | PHP Version 8.2.4 | Milk Theme
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Re: Permissions for guests

Post by Mannix_ »

Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

That's not what I meant. I'll try to be more clear :D

I want the private topics to be visible to guests and even clickable. But when a guest tries to open one of those topics they will be asked to register before they can read it. Is that possible?
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

Oh i see then you need request an extension to be made. Don't think there is any at this time that does that
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
maupap

Post by maupap »

Mannix_ wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:05 am Oh i see then you need request an extension to be made. Don't think there is any at this time that does that
that would be a very useful extension
SQLnovice

Post by SQLnovice »

We use PHPBB extension Show First Post Only To Guest for that and more. Basically for guests, they see the topic and up to a number of characters of the first post of that topic, but no posts after the first. They must login as a registered user to see what everyone in that group sees. In this way, it urges guests to create an account, in the hopes that since they're already logged in, they'll ask or post feedback, which only registered users would typically have the privileges to do.

Number of characters to display:
Enter the number of characters to display for the first topic (default is 150). Setting the value to 0 disables this feature.

Each forum has it's own settings that can be adjusted to suit. PHPBB forum permissions override SFPOTG, so only the forums you already show to guests would be affected, i.e. adjusting SFPOTG settings for permissions restricted forums is wasted effort.

If you want to have some unrestricted days or weekends, you can disable and enable the extension. It's quite flexible that way.
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

SQLnovice wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:17 am
Thanks for this! This does exactly what I was looking for. 150+ new members in less than 2 hours :D
Last edited by Mick on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

deninho32 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:24 am
SQLnovice wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:17 am
Thanks for this! This does exactly what I was looking for. 150+ new members in less than 2 hours :D
Those will be spambots, mostly. Can we get a link to your board?
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

stevemaury wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:27 pm
deninho32 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:24 am

Those will be spambots, mostly. Can we get a link to your board?
These are all real persons, I have to accept them before they are added to the board, it's football transfer time, so very busy. The link to my board is forum.negentiendertien.nl
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Have to say, how to register on there is really not very obvious. I only found it because I knew what the link should look like.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

You only need to register if you want to read the transferwindow section. 340 people managed to do it today so far :D. I use Milk theme and the registration links are standard with that theme I presume? Is there another way?

This is what the bottom of the transfertopic looks like. Pretty obvious right?

Screenshot_2023-06-06-20-31-08-60_4641ebc0df1485bf6b47ebd018b5ee76.jpg
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

From the link you posted there are icons on the right with no information as to what they are. You may well have had a lot of people register but what you don't know is how long it took them to do it through trial and error before they got the right option.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-06-06 at 19.32.23.png
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

Maybe I can add some text below the icons to make it clearer indeed. These icons come with Milk theme. I know that people tried to access one of the popular topics and found out they had to register. At least that's what they're claiming. The register link was right in front of them in this case.
deninho32

Post by deninho32 »

KevC wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:33 pm From the link you posted there are icons on the right with no information as to what they are. You may well have had a lot of people register but what you don't know is how long it took them to do it through trial and error before they got the right option.
This is better I think :)
Naamloos.png
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

100%

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”