Retrieve full PHPBB datas without DB access

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
bedford_ch

Retrieve full PHPBB datas without DB access

Post by bedford_ch »

Hi there,
I'm trying to help somebody (for free !) to migrate a forum which is actually on a free hosting providing PHPBB forums but with lot of advertisements and quite buggy.
He wants now to install his own PHPBB site but the hosting company doesn't provide DB access or export feature. The forum is running from several years and he doesn't want to lose previous data.

It's there any way to retrieve all datas from actual forum and insert in new forum ? he doesn't care if he needs to ask people to reset their password, just trying to get datas on new server. I can build a sort of robot to get all data but just hoping something already exists.

Hope you can help us out with this.

Thanks and have a nice day
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Retrieve full PHPBB datas without DB access

Post by KevC »

The database is everything. All of the forums, posts, users, permissions, the lot. So if you have no access to that you're very stuck. You could try scraping the entire site but it'll take a long time and be quite disjointed.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
bedford_ch

Post by bedford_ch »

KevC wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:41 am The database is everything. All of the forums, posts, users, permissions, the lot. So if you have no access to that you're very stuck. You could try scraping the entire site but it'll take a long time and be quite disjointed.
Thank you KevC. I'm OK with scraping but all the scripts I've seen so far are quite old (2019 !). Can't find a recent one.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

I don't know of a recent one either. It's not something that happens very often. You could try posting in the wanted forum to see if someone can make one but it'll cost money.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

bedford_ch wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:36 am
He wants now to install his own PHPBB site but the hosting company doesn't provide DB access or export feature. The forum is running from several years and he doesn't want to lose previous data.
Even the one in ACP tab maintenance is blocked ??
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:50 amEven the one in ACP tab maintenance is blocked ?
I’d say yes all DB access, as that’s what these kind of free hosts do.

@OP: Do you know who the host is?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel©
🇬🇧
Toxyy

Post by Toxyy »

Are you even able to install extensions? If so it might be theoretically possible to recreate the db backup interface with one to get around that.
I am a web developer/administrator, specializing in forums. If you have work you need done or are too lazy to do, pm me!

Some of my extensions:
[3.3][BETA] Post Form Templates || [3.3][BETA] Anonymous Posts || [3.2][3.3][BETA] ACP Merge Child Forums || [3.2][BETA] Sticky Ad || [3.2][DEV] User Delete Topics || [3.3][DEV] Moderate While Searching || [3.3][RC] Short Number Twig Extension

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”