Frameworks: why they exists?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
axe70
Name: Alessio

Frameworks: why they exists?

Post by axe70 »

Let me say i think the same about all others frameworks, i include on it Rails, and several more
Laravel is a free and open-source PHP web framework, created by Taylor Otwell and intended for the development of web applications following the model–view–controller architectural pattern and based on Symfony.
So what a framework do/is?
- A framework free you to think about several things, because offer ready things to be used.
My definition is: a framework, after you have learn a language, complicate your life, because you have to learn how another folk think that you have to do things.

So generally, i think that a concept offered by others, will slave you to something that often mean: you do not know nothing about what it happen into the background, you have no idea of real programming, and you tend to do things exactly like others, so often you go to standardize a not useful stupidity used by the most, that knows very few things.
Isn't it?
GanstaZ

Re: Frameworks: why they exists?

Post by GanstaZ »

How can you use any framework if you don't know programming language/s?
As i see it.. framework is just making ones life easier without reinventing new wheels.
About learning.. Well.. people learn something new every single day, so i don't see any problem with it.
Most if not all frameworks have coding standards & to be honest, it's not that complicated to remember those.

No one is forcing anyone to learn something. If you don't like to use a framework, then don't use it. Simple.. isn't it?)
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Most if not all frameworks have coding standards & to be honest, it's not that complicated to remember those
Probably, until you are young :D
Look, i still open php.net, mdn etc just to write substr instruction (that maybe you instead are able to remember easily without).
So i agree with you, and also with me, also when i see people, that just learn something at an high level, that's moved high and higher along the time.
I am not a true math programmer, i am a self-tough, but for what is my views of things (maybe it is not for a computer science university student, i hope) someone think that learning jQuery mean to know javascript and all about.
It is clearly not, if not supported by some other background.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

axe70 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:08 pmi still open php.net, mdn etc just to write substr
No need to do that - you can write the function you want to look up right as the URI, f.e. https://php.net/substr is all you need to request. Same goes for Wikipedia and Wiktionary: no search box is needed when you can just learn once how the basic URI is all the same - just request f.e. https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tough or such. Do this 3 times, then the browser already knows what to suggest to you and you only need to replace the relevant part. It works for decades like this already.
GanstaZ wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:33 amframework is just making ones life easier without reinventing new wheels
I disagree: once you discover the framework is
  • having a bug,
  • misses an options, or
  • has too much bloat
you're pretty much stuck. People used to the framework then have to wait for the next release, but the next release may
  • have different/higher requirements,
  • become incompatible with other frameworks you use, or
  • has even a differnt license (f.e. not free anymore).
Of course, this only happens when you start scratching on the surface and want to get work done down to the details. Using frameworks can have its advantages, but people using it always come up with weird questions that wouldn't exist without using the framework. Job wise I had to use many of them, and they all had their limits and painful restrictions sooner or later. Just let them age for 2-5 years and you'd have to redo your whole project, because between framework releases so much has changed. Meh.

Return to “General Discussion”