Changing time/date of posts

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Lost_in_Space

Changing time/date of posts

Post by Lost_in_Space »

Hello,

I will try to be as "brief" as possible here.

I was trying to piece together some events which happened a while ago (actually, it all happened way back in 2019...) and some things just didn't add up for me.

In 2019, someone was banned from a friend of mine's board, after a "real life" meet up between said board's members (so, OFFLINE).

The encounter happened on October 16, 2019, at night (in a pub). I am 100% sure this guy was banned the next day, October 17.

On that board (which no longer exists), my friend and the other admins used to open up a thread in a section which was named "Banishments" every time someone was banned, to make it formal and inform the rest of the community that a certain user was being banned and WHY.

On that specific occasion, the formal banishment post was October 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM or something, but as I said, the meet up occured at night, after 7:00 PM or something. So it makes no sense. The "banning" post should date the next day, October 17, at the barest. So it made me think that the date of the post got changed (for whatever reason). The guy couldn't be banned BEFORE the encounter happened, since after it ended, I vividly remember that he was still posting. So again, it definitely should have dated October 17, not before OR even after that.

So, yeah, I ended up writing a long post, what a pity. :lol:

To sum up, then: is it possible to change the date and/or the time of any post on a phpBB-based board, using the ACP?

This is a technical question. I hope it was appropriate to post it here.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Changing time/date of posts

Post by Mick »

Yes, anything is possible, there’s at least one extension that does that.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

Lost_in_Space wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:30 am is it possible to change the date and/or the time of any post on a phpBB-based board
This paid extension offers this: https://www.canidev.com/store/cbb-quick ... .1&lang=en
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.12 | PHP: 8.3.7
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

stevemaury
Support Team Member
Support Team Member
Name: Steve

Post by stevemaury »

Also can be done with SQL.
I can stop all your spam. I can upgrade or update your Board. PM or email me. (Paid support)
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Aevik

Post by Aevik »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:14 pm Free extension that does the job https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... post_time/
But is this extension compatible with 3.3.10 ?
it seems to be rated for 3.1 and 3.2
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

Aevik wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:24 pm But is this extension compatible with 3.3.10 ?
Works perfectly with 3.3.x
Aevik

Post by Aevik »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:27 pm
Aevik wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:24 pm But is this extension compatible with 3.3.10 ?
Works perfectly with 3.3.x
Brilliant

This extension may be of use sometime.

In the wrong hands.. someone could give the impression of being Nostradamus, predicting future events spot on.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

Aevik wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:49 pm In the wrong hands.. someone could give the impression of being Nostradamus, predicting future events spot on.
Strange thinking about this
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.12 | PHP: 8.3.7
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

Post by Sniper_E »

Oh My GoodnessImage
I was thinking the same thing Aevik. I can even think of a few other ways someone could have fun with that also.
I say Inventive thinking you got there Aevik, not strange at all. Keep it up... I'm with you.
Image . -.. / .... ..- -- .--. .... .-. . -.--
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!

:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:
Floyd

Post by Floyd »

Lost_in_Space wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:30 amOn that specific occasion, the formal banishment post was October 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM or something, but as I said, the meet up occured at night, after 7:00 PM or something. So it makes no sense. The "banning" post should date the next day, October 17, at the barest. So it made me think that the date of the post got changed (for whatever reason). The guy couldn't be banned BEFORE the encounter happened, since after it ended, I vividly remember that he was still posting. So again, it definitely should have dated October 17, not before OR even after that.
The difference in the posting times is most likely due to phpBB itself. The time of a post displayed is adjusted for each member based on their settings in the UCP. Thus, if someone on EST makes a post at 7 pm, then it will appear as 4 pm to someone on PST.
Entropy is maintenance free.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Sniper_E wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:24 am Oh My GoodnessImage
I was thinking the same thing Aevik. I can even think of a few other ways someone could have fun with that also.
I say Inventive thinking you got there Aevik, not strange at all. Keep it up... I'm with you.
Changing the post datetime displayed does not change the post_id; so a significant change in post_datetime would easily be discovered looking at the post_id sequence.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

Post by Sniper_E »

That was referencing playing around and changing the post date time back to the time of Nostradamus, for instance.

I don't see changing the post date time for real would be an option at any time. I would never change the date/time of a post.
Image . -.. / .... ..- -- .--. .... .-. . -.--
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!

:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:
maupap

Post by maupap »

warmweer wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 5:04 pm
Sniper_E wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:24 am Oh My GoodnessImage
Changing the post datetime displayed does not change the post_id; so a significant change in post_datetime would easily be discovered looking at the post_id sequence.
where is the post_id located? Can only the administrator identify it or also the forum members?

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”