Questions about Extensions as it applies to admin categories and modules

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
funtent

Questions about Extensions as it applies to admin categories and modules

Post by funtent »

Question 1: upon activating a non-approved extension, it will not auto-populate its control panel anywhere in admin. Generally, does this indicate that the extension is not compatible with my board's (current) phpBB version?

Question 2: after creating a category ("Extensions") at top level in admin tabs, and putting three extension modules (enabled) into it, clicking on tab Extensions only shows the first, and the other two are not displayed on the sidebar, or anywhere. Generally, does this indicate that these extensions are not compatible with my board's phpBB version?

I've found the best way to deal with this is to create a category for each of these noncompliant extensions, some of which unfortunately have multiple modules. Each module needs its own category.

Background, if it matters:

It's a development board and the messy admin tabs settings came along with the import of its very old board database image. I'd like to start clean in this respect.

I zero'ed it out, all extension categories and modules, via admin GUI.
janus_zonstraal

Re: Questions about Extensions as it applies to admin categories and modules

Post by janus_zonstraal »

If you tell us what the extensions are we can help you better.
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
funtent

Post by funtent »

Akismet Anti-Spam Extension 1.2.1
National Flags 2.3.1
phpBB Media Embed PlugIn 2.0.1 (as a test)
Thanks for posts 2.0.7
VigLink 1.0.5 (as a test, does display link in adm -> General)
Volare Theme: Control Panel 1.0.0
Volare Theme: Sidebar Configurator
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

How are you installing these extensions, are you reading the instructions that come with the extensions or are you following Installing Extensions? It’s unclear to me what you’re actually doing.

To receive extension support please visit our Extensions Database and post in the specific extension's designated support area. The link to the support area for each released extension is also available in the first post of each released extension listed in the [3.3.x] Extension Database Releases forum.

For extensions still in development (not recommended for a live board) support is in that extension's topic in the Extensions in Development forum.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel©
🇬🇧
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

funtent wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:22 pm after creating a category ("Extensions") at top level in admin tabs, and putting three extension modules (enabled) into it,
You never have to do that. Extensions are installed through the customise tab and if any have additional setting the extensions tab is automatically created.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
funtent

Post by funtent »

Ok, it sounds like it's not a case of old(er) extensions not behaving in 3.3.11 (right?). If that's the case, I probably have some cruft in the modules table (219 rows), built up over two decades and around ten host server migrations.

I'm going to clean-install a fresh, bog-stock phpBB instance only to grab that clean modules table and bring it into this dev phpBB instance, start new. After disabling extensions. If that works, I know what to do for production.
funtent

Post by funtent »

Mick wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:59 am How are you installing these extensions, are you reading the instructions that come with the extensions or are you following Installing Extensions? It’s unclear to me what you’re actually doing.
I install extensions by the book. Download latest from phpBB.com, unzip, upload to ext/[entity name]/[extension name]. I don't make up either of those. Then enable extension in Customize -> Manage Extensions.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”