Can a forum default to having the user subscribe to a post?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
dgkulick

Can a forum default to having the user subscribe to a post?

Post by dgkulick »

I have a few forums where the user is requesting certain information and will get a response from me or another administrator. Can that forum have a default that any topics posted by a user default to them being subscribed to that topic?

On a similar note, can that forum be set so that users only see their own topics? There is no reason for other people to see the topic/response. It's not a deal breaker but would be good. I can't find any extensions that do this. I could use the pruning function to prune the topics after a few days but having it completely hidden would be nice.
Last edited by Mick on Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Can a forum default to having the user subscribe to a post?

Post by warmweer »

dgkulick wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:10 am I have a few forums where the user is requesting certain information and will get a response from me or another administrator. Can that forum have a default that any topics posted by a user default to them being subscribed to that topic?
I'm not in favour of forced subscription
dgkulick wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:10 am On a similar note, can that forum be set so that users only see their own topics? There is no reason for other people to see the topic/response. It's not a deal breaker but would be good. I can't find any extensions that do this. I could use the pruning function to prune the topics after a few days but having it completely hidden would be nice.
There's an old extension but I have no idea whether it functions as intended with the current phpBB version(s) (and current PHP versions)
Read other's topics Permission. There are other version available but those haven't been validated.

Whichever version you use, test it before going live with it: preferably on a board made specifically for testing.

Added: installed the github version and did some quick testing: seems to work as described (take note that it hasn't been validated so use at your own risk).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
dgkulick

Re: Can a forum default to having the user subscribe to a post?

Post by dgkulick »

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm just starting out, I think I'll keep this simple. If it was built-in I'd use it but it's not important enough to potentially mess things up. I'll just go with pruning on that forum.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”