By 2026, 90% of all online content will be AI generated.

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
[Dimetrodon]

By 2026, 90% of all online content will be AI generated.

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

https://futurism.com/the-byte/experts-9 ... -generated

Suffice to say, this will also come with a significant increase in misinformation and even fabricated recordings and camera footage that looks real, and can be used to frame people for offenses they did not commit.

It will be impossible to determine what is real and what is fabricated. In addition to other problems, like the loss of skilled jobs.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: By 2026, 90% of all online content will be AI generated.

Post by thecoalman »

I've wondered if all these bots over the past year or two causing excessive usage on forums are bots collecting data for AI. It's really the only thing I can think of that is plausible.

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:36 pm In addition to other problems, like the loss of skilled jobs.
I've brought this up in other discussions elsewhere. In the past as new technologies have emerged it's created new jobs. If you were using a pick and axe to mine and lost your job to a pneumatic drill a new job opened up to build and maintain pneumatic drills.

A capitalistic society is circular, this is something Henry Ford understood quite well. He paid his workers a really good wage so they could buy the product they were making. AI will eventually be able to fill any job imaginable. If people don't have jobs they can't buy products and the companies making products go bankrupt. There is going to be a lot of rough years ahead as society adapts to this.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

When AI takes over, there probably won’t be better jobs propping up to replace the jobs lost, unlike innovations from past eras. That is a problem. Jobs being lost and likely no replacements.

And to be honest, real wages and salaries have been decreasing for decades. Capitalism is more than capable of screwing a large chunk of people over in that way and still manage to limp on, even if many highly skilled people are broke, forced into menial low paying positions, or out of work entirely.

Edit: But as for the internet itself, I don't like the idea of it being dominated by AI content appealing in the slightest. It would be completely soulless and the era where you can chat with people online would probably be over. Most people would just be talking to bots and not even knowing it. Entire phpBB forums and regular social media sites would be flooded with AI users posting uninspired content, spam, misinformation, copy and pasted boilerplate blogs, posts, status updates, that look human made but aren't, all while humans are ill equipped to search through it all to find content that is actually worth looking at. The internet already has too much garbage in it, and this would be so much worse.
Mikolaj Kowalczyk
Name: Mikolaj Kowalczyk

Post by Mikolaj Kowalczyk »

I was listing old softwares on eBay last night and even he has AI tool which write your listing for you.

If you want to buy something off there you have be carefuls, I search for electrical item and set search result to 'parts or not working' and open 10 listing, I find few that written by AI.

A TV with a smash screen is perfect for me to buy as backup.
A PS4 that not switch on is must have for kids.

As far as I know there was general rule that eBay always side with buyer but if seller use AI tool there will be many 'not as describe' cases.

I like technology and AI is great tool but trusting it to describe second hand or broken item is stupid, I think if person can't be bothered write own description of item they want sell why should someone else bother to buy it.

AI should be use for improving things, not to encourage people be lazy.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mikolaj Kowalczyk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:33 pm I was listing old softwares on eBay last night and even he has AI tool which write your listing for you.
Oh, wow.
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, read perhaps also another steps for informations ...
Experts from the Mozilla Foundation have investigated the software company's new service contract, which is due to come into force on 30 September. And, according to their own statement, they have not been able to find out whether Microsoft wants to use user data for AI training. A petition is currently underway against Microsoft.
Sign Mozilla’s petition and tell OpenAI, Google, and Microsoft to provide transparency about the data used to train their AI tools!

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/campa ... -ai-tools/
Ask Microsoft: Are you using our personal data to train AI?

We had four lawyers, three privacy experts, and two campaigners look at Microsoft's new Service Agreement, and none of our experts could tell if Microsoft plans on using your personal data – including audio, video, chat, and attachments from 130 products, including Office, Skype, Teams, and Xbox – to train its AI models.

https://foundation.mozilla.org/en/campa ... rosoft-ai/
2002XterraSC
Name: Adam Z

Post by 2002XterraSC »

It is already really bad on social media, I've had friends send me images they believed were real but after a little looking, they are obviously fake.

There is a lot of good AI can do but it comes with a lot of bad, almost more bad than good.

I had to disable the copilot stuff from MS at work, via group policy as they just pushed it out with an update...
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

2002XterraSC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 pmI had to disable the copilot stuff from MS at work, via group policy as they just pushed it out with an update...
Yeah, I just had copilot pushed down my throat from MS as well.
2002XterraSC

Post by 2002XterraSC »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:19 pm
2002XterraSC wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:56 pmI had to disable the copilot stuff from MS at work, via group policy as they just pushed it out with an update...
Yeah, I just had copilot pushed down my throat from MS as well.
I won't use it, not until we could host our own version for ourselves, doubtful MS will ever do that, though.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

We all know these companies seek to erode privacy, so of course not.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

2002XterraSC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:05 pmI won't use it
You probably already are, one way or another, both MS and Apple are using AI to write lines of code. I havn’t seen anything about “Cyberdyne Systems” but allow the buggers to rewrite their own code and it won’t be long.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Mick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm but allow the buggers to rewrite their own code and it won’t be long.
That is effectively how they "learn". When AI gets something wrong it determines why it was wrong. When AI plays chess for example, the first time it plays it's an amateur. Just to be clear it's not computational power alone. AI chess computes a fraction of the moves a traditional computational chess program does. If I recall Googles AI for this was doing something like 80K moves while the computational program was doing millions.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

2002XterraSC

Post by 2002XterraSC »

Mick wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:06 pm
2002XterraSC wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:05 pmI won't use it
You probably already are, one way or another, both MS and Apple are using AI to write lines of code. I havn’t seen anything about “Cyberdyne Systems” but allow the buggers to rewrite their own code and it won’t be long.
Agree, but when I see chances to opt out or turn it off, I take them. At least it makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing, and having a illusion of control lol.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to re watch Terminator. :D
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

thecoalman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:34 pmThat is effectively how they "learn"
Yes but I meant source (OS) code not it’s KB.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

AI blurs the lines of traditional programming. It's not programmed to play Chess, it's programmed to learn how to play chess.

Return to “General Discussion”