After upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11, no default phpbb avatar

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
wonder_wonder

After upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11, no default phpbb avatar

Post by wonder_wonder »

I'm looking for information about it, but I can't find anything.
I am aware that, in a clean installation of 3.3.11 (or lower, I don't know if up to 3.2.x) users who do not select an avatar see a default avatar, a blank person.

However, in an upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11 this does not happen, for users who have not selected avatar, the avatar space does not appear.

I would like to configure it as a clean installation, so that users who have not selected an avatar see the default avatar, that "blank person".

I attach two images;
One is from my forum being installed from 0 (if I remember correctly, from version 3.2...in 2018), there you see what I indicate, users without selecting an avatar appear one by default (blank person).

The other image is the one I upgraded from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11 (this one is still in English because I'm just finishing configuring it) and this one is going to replace the first one.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I am not referring to any extension, I do not use extension for avatar, but phpbb by default
Last edited by Mick on Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: After upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11, no default phpbb avatar

Post by KevC »

wonder_wonder wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm I am aware that, in a clean installation of 3.3.11 (or lower, I don't know if up to 3.2.x) users who do not select an avatar see a default avatar, a blank person.
No they don't.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

KevC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:27 pm
wonder_wonder wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm I am aware that, in a clean installation of 3.3.11 (or lower, I don't know if up to 3.2.x) users who do not select an avatar see a default avatar, a blank person.
No they don't.
Sure? I don't doubt it but... in a clean installation, it does, and I have not installed any extension, all users who have not defined an avatar, a default avatar appears, that of the blank person that I indicate more above.
And I have made sure that there is no extension in this regard.
If I go to user groups, that default avatar that I indicated appears, but it is not shown when users post (this happens to me in the upgrade from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11).
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

wonder_wonder wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:15 pmI have made sure that there is no extension in this regard
There is at least one extension for 3.1 & 3.2 see https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _extended/
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

This is my 3.3.11 test board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Oddly it’s the same here :roll:
    " - Harmony Cobel
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

And just to be sure I've done a brand new 3.3.11 installation, made no changes at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:35 pm There is at least one extension for 3.1 & 3.2 see https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/exte ... _extended/
I do not have it installed, neither in the forum that I did a clean installation, nor obviously, in the one that I have upgraded from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11
KevC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:44 pm This is my 3.3.11 test board.
Fresh install?
Mick wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:45 pm Oddly it’s the same here :roll:
I noticed it, it is the same here, but I deduced that it was due to upgrading to versions from its beginnings of phpbb
KevC wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:52 pm And just to be sure I've done a brand new 3.3.11 installation, made no changes at all.
This answers my previous question if it was a fresh install.

Well, I'm left looking stupid...

I did not install any extension for avatars, this is the list of extensions that I have in the forum that I indicate shows the avatars by default:
Advanced BBCode Box 3.3.7
Auto Groups 2.0.6
Automatic Topic Subscription
Board Announcements 1.2.1
Contact Admin 1.4.2
External Link In New Window 1.2.0
Forum Legend 2.0.0
Forum name in Topic 1.0.1
Google Analytics 1.0.6
hCaptcha 1.0.3
Header banner 3.2.4
Hide code for guests
Modern quote 1.0.1
Notify Admin on Registration
PayPal Donation Extension
Posting Buttons 1.0.1
Posting reset button
Post Numbers 1.1.3
Pretty Topic 1.0.1
Remove Subject from Replies
Simple mentions 1.0.5
smilies scroll box 1.0.3
Sortables Captcha 2.0.2
Thanks for posts 2.0.7
Topic Author 1.0.4
Topic icon on index 1.1.2
User Notification Control
VigLink
I did not make any modifications to this, I have reviewed the files. The default avatar appears everywhere, notifications, pm's, topics...
I don't understand why this happens, I like it that way, but I don't know how to do it on the one I'm upgrading (which will be the final one that will stay)....
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Did you ever set ACP> Groups> Manage groups> Registered users> Group avatar?
    " - Harmony Cobel
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:34 am Did you ever set ACP> Groups> Manage groups> Registered users> Group avatar?
Yes, by default, in the same way that I have the one I installed with fresh install, both are the same:
Edit: Select Gravatar, Gallery Avatar, Upload Avatar, same result, are select the "Default Avatar", I can only click in delete image, and of course, I dont want...
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

I think it only works if that particular group is the default group. Bear in mind if you do set it as the default group/avatar it will replace everyone’s avatar in that group with the new one.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

wonder_wonder wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:46 am Yes, by default, in the same way that I have the one I installed with fresh install, both are the same:
Yes, that's right. There is no "no avatar-output". For example, viewtopic_body.html and e.q. the memberlist_view.html are affected ...
In my opinion, the *corresponding "instruction" is missing in this templates:

*TEST: https://stylearea.ongraydesigns.de/viewtopic.php?t=150

My own workaround: Just tried it myself under phpBB 3.3.11 with success..

Regards

Edit: Or the extension mentioned above can help.
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:52 am I think it only works if that particular group is the default group. Bear in mind if you do set it as the default group/avatar it will replace everyone’s avatar in that group with the new one.
It hasn't worked, I have taken several users to the Newly registered users group and I have set it to default, cleaned cache and nothing, it still does not show said avatar...
Although I think the issue must come from here, I am with the stk resynchronizing users.
Talk19Zehn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:02 am
wonder_wonder wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:46 am Yes, by default, in the same way that I have the one I installed with fresh install, both are the same:
Yes, that's right. There is no "no avatar-output". For example, viewtopic_body.html and e.q. the memberlist_view.html are affected ...
In my opinion, the *corresponding "instruction" is missing in this templates:

*TEST: https://stylearea.ongraydesigns.de/viewtopic.php?t=150

My own workaround: Just tried it myself under phpBB 3.3.11 with success..

Regards

Edit: Or the extension mentioned above can help.
I think this is a solution, I already saw it in another topic, but I don't like touching the code in the phpbb files, the less I touch/modify it, the better.
And since in the forum that I did fresh install it works like this... something is missing me, maybe the groups or something I'm missing...

Grateful.

PS: As soon as the stk finishes resynchronizing, I will post results.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

wonder_wonder wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 amIt hasn't worked
It does work, but probably not how you remember it. You have to upload a ‘no avatar’ image for the group first. Add a user to the group and “Set as default group” to yes and the new image shows in the users profile.

IMG_0397.jpeg
    " - Harmony Cobel
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mick wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:27 am
wonder_wonder wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 amIt hasn't worked
It does work, but probably not how you remember it. You have to upload a ‘no avatar’ image for the group first. Add a user to the group and “Set as default group” to yes and the new image shows in the users profile.

IMG_0397.jpeg
Ok, so yes, it works.
I go to the user group, upload the no_avatar.gif image (which already exists in the path phpbb3/adm/images/no_avatar.gif
When you upload the default avatar and set it, add a user as a primary group, then yes, it shows it.
But....in the forum that I did fresh install I did not do it, because in the fresh install I have configured as I show in my previous screenshot, with Gravatar (without setting anything in Gravatar) and that is the avatar that shows to all users that are registered.

In this one, which I have upgraded from 3.0.11 to 3.3.11, if I delete the uploaded avatar, it goes back to Gravatar and then the user's avatar disappears.

It's a solution that works for me, but I'm still "intrigued" by what difference there is to the one I did fresh install on.

Be that as it may, very very grateful.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”