Increase forum width in general

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
wonder_wonder

Increase forum width in general

Post by wonder_wonder »

Hello.
I have searched for information about it, but what I have found has not been useful to me, or I have not known how to search with the right words.

My idea is to increase the width of the forum (for example, to 80 or 90% of screen) and, if possible, to a percentage of the user's screen.
But don't let this "spoil" the mobile version for me.

I have seen that there are extensions, but I want to do it in the .css

My intention is to adapt the style to my liking, but editing the prosylver (although I don't know if it is better to create one inherited from the prosylver and make the modifications there, but I am afraid that, when there is an update, the updates will not enter the style inherited).

I have some more doubts about the editing of the style, but I think it is better, in other topics, each topic with its subject :)

Thank you.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Re: Increase forum width in general

Post by Mannix_ »

Are you sure you want to set it to a % value?? remember some people run 4k monitors so reading posts can get tiresome for them.

To change the width you need to adjust the max-width property in the common.css file for the .wrap selector. Don't forget to purge browser cache after making changes

If you are gonna make minimal css edits i recommend using my little extension to put your css so when the update comes you won't have to do anything.

If you gonna do more then that you really should create a child style that inherits from prosilver phpBB • Creating & Modifying Styles
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:23 am Are you sure you want to set it to a % value?? remember some people run 4k monitors so reading posts can get tiresome for them.

To change the width you need to adjust the max-width property in the common.css file for the .wrap selector. Don't forget to purge browser cache after making changes
Well yes, you questioned me about the percentage...maybe I adjust in px and not in %...I didn't take into account that there are people with 4K monitors...

It's what I had read, but it doesn't work for me... I'm going to try it again...
If you are gonna make minimal css edits i recommend using my little extension to put your css so when the update comes you won't have to do anything.
The edits I plan to make are changing the width, colors in tables, especially in the background, I want to put an image on repeat... things like that...
Does this extension make the changes to the style itself so that when the update occurs it is not necessary to do anything even if you uninstall the extension? (for example)
If you gonna do more then that you really should create a child style that inherits from prosilver phpBB • Creating & Modifying Styles
That's what I had thought too but...what if updates come in, what happens?

Thank you very much for your reply!
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

wonder_wonder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:40 am That's what I had thought too but...what if updates come in, what happens?
In the event of an update, the child styles are not impacted, only prosilver is updated to the phpBB version. This is why you should not modify the prosilver base files.
For your child style it will be up to you to update it if the templates you use need to be updated.

For what you want to do, only adding CSS, if you add your CSS codes at the end of the prosilver stylesheet.css file, these additions will not be deleted in the event of an update.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.12 | PHP: 8.3.7
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

wonder_wonder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:40 am
The edits I plan to make are changing the width, colors in tables, especially in the background, I want to put an image on repeat... things like that...
Does this extension make the changes to the style itself so that when the update occurs it is not necessary to do anything even if you uninstall the extension? (for example)
The extension just adds a css file where you put your styling to so when there is an update you don't need to do anything your changes will still be there.
wonder_wonder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:40 am That's what I had thought too but...what if updates come in, what happens?
as ssl said you would need to update the files in your child style with the change that has been done in prosilver on those files. If there aren't any you don't need to do anything

ssl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:53 am For what you want to do, only adding CSS, if you add your CSS codes at the end of the prosilver stylesheet.css file, these additions will not be deleted in the event of an update.
false when you update the whole prosilver is being replaced with the new one
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

ssl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:53 am
In the event of an update, the child styles are not impacted, only prosilver is updated to the phpBB version. This is why you should not modify the prosilver base files.
For your child style it will be up to you to update it if the templates you use need to be updated.

For what you want to do, only adding CSS, if you add your CSS codes at the end of the prosilver stylesheet.css file, these additions will not be deleted in the event of an update.
1.088 / 5.000
Resultados de traducción
Resultado de traducción
That's what I assumed, that an inherited style, in case of update, will not receive the update, that I will have to update it manually, and my knowledge does not reach that point.
As of today, I only edited the background color, and when updates have come, it has updated prosilver without modifying the color (it is an update of necessary files), which is my idea, to keep it that way.
Indeed, my changes are only in CSS values, so I would choose to do them in prosilver, this way, if there are updates, they will come in without the changes that I have made being affected.
ssl

Post by ssl »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 am false when you update the whole prosilver is being replaced with the new one
You right, my bad
When I made changes to the stylesheet.css file, I always updated the prosilver style separately, and manually.

wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:01 am
wonder_wonder wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:40 am
The extension just adds a css file where you put your styling to so when there is an update you don't need to do anything your changes will still be there.
Ok, that's a bit of an idea of ​​what I want/need...
as ssl said you would need to update the files in your child style with the change that has been done in prosilver on those files. If there aren't any you don't need to do anything
Correct, that's why I prefer to modify prosilver, so that updates come in when they exist without my changes being modified.
ssl wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:53 am For what you want to do, only adding CSS, if you add your CSS codes at the end of the prosilver stylesheet.css file, these additions will not be deleted in the event of an update.
false when you update the whole prosilver is being replaced with the new one
As I mentioned, when I updated, I selected the update of only necessary files/changes, it generates a zip and I upload it, it keeps the changes that I have made (to date only background color, and right now the width, which It finally worked for me, I cleared cache, but I forgot to purge cache in cloudflare...)
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:23 am ...
By the way, I have looked at that guide, it does not help me or has the information I am looking for, for example, changing the color of the blocks in each subforum (sorry, I explain myself very poorly).
I have been able to put an image in the background in repeat mode, to do this, I have looked at another style (Halloween) and I have put it in the common.css in the same way.
Those are the things I want to modify, border colors (or the subforum tables, I don't know what they are called...) etc...

Thank you.
Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

This should help you with actual editing phpBB • [GUIDE] How to edit any part of the theme with ease! the previous thing i linked is about making the child style
wonder_wonder

Post by wonder_wonder »

Mannix_ wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:32 am This should help you with actual editing phpBB • [GUIDE] How to edit any part of the theme with ease! the previous thing i linked is about making the child style
Think it is so,
Hugely grateful, anyway, I'll install your extension, I like having 2 options.
That said, very grateful!
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Only add or change prosilver CSS-Conventions or own others

Hello, write a wondercustom.css and/or wonderadditional.css with the CSS changes and upload it to the theme directory (prosilver).

stylesheet.css (original phpBB-3.3.11)

Code: Select all

/*  phpBB3 Style Sheet
    --------------------------------------------------------------
	Style name:			prosilver (the default phpBB 3.3.x style)
	Based on style:
	Original author:	Tom Beddard ( http://www.subblue.com/ )
	Modified by:		phpBB Limited ( https://www.phpbb.com/ )
*/

@import url("normalize.css?hash=48eb3f89");
@import url("base.css?hash=7c5543be");
@import url("utilities.css?hash=d8f72c42");
@import url("common.css?hash=a9741ba1");
@import url("links.css?hash=18286e16");
@import url("content.css?hash=be57a41d");
@import url("buttons.css?hash=56f0d25f");
@import url("cp.css?hash=50d868ab");
@import url("forms.css?hash=b64464fb");
@import url("icons.css?hash=64da33ce");
@import url("colours.css?hash=fcb2f289");
@import url("responsive.css?hash=87b53e08");

and put your CSS at the end (!): import your wondercustom.css and/or wonderadditional.css -> example. see also the entry
And modified by: Your name ( website-Adress )

Code: Select all

/*  phpBB3 Style Sheet
	Style name:			prosilver (the default phpBB 3.3.x style)
	Based on style:
	Original author:	Tom Beddard ( http://www.subblue.com/ )
	Modified by:		phpBB Limited ( https://www.phpbb.com/ )
	And modified by:	Your name ( website-Adress )
*/

@import url("normalize.css?hash=48eb3f89");
@import url("base.css?hash=7c5543be");
@import url("utilities.css?hash=d8f72c42");
@import url("common.css?hash=a9741ba1");
@import url("links.css?hash=18286e16");
@import url("content.css?hash=be57a41d");
@import url("buttons.css?hash=56f0d25f");
@import url("cp.css?hash=50d868ab");
@import url("forms.css?hash=b64464fb");
@import url("icons.css?hash=64da33ce");
@import url("colours.css?hash=fcb2f289");
@import url("responsive.css?hash=87b53e08");
@import url("wondercustom.css?v=3311");
@import url("wonderadditional.css?v=3311");

Hint: The CSS is processed in the order specified.

Note: Since the CSS in question ( wondercustom.css and/or wonderadditional.css ) does not exist in the original, so it will not be overwritten (update).

Important: Nevertheless, with every update (style-changes), check whether you have addressed classes or ids that could have been changed via an update for a new version. These may then need to be adapted accordingly.

It's not that difficult and should work. Try it ...
After editing, empty all caches (FTP / ACP) and browser caches (when accessing your board page).

Many regards
Last edited by Talk19Zehn on Sun May 12, 2024 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
ssl

Post by ssl »

If I'm not talking nonsense, for each modification/addition in one of the two CSS files you will have to modify the hash value to take this modification/addition into account.

Mannix_

Post by Mannix_ »

Talk19Zehn wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:22 am
Note: Since the CSS in question ( wondercustom.css and/or wonderadditional.css ) does not exist in the original, so it will not be overwritten (update).
Sure but the stylesheets.css will be overwritten thus it won't load any of those file anymore :)
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello SSL, according to my information, hashes are no longer absolutely necessary, as mentioned in my examples.

Hi Mannix_ , in my cases this does not happen ... :?

Many regards

Edit:

@ Mannix_
Or did I add them per import again? Now I am suddenly unsure. :oops:
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”