ChatGPT thinks that phpBB can be (and is) used as an eQMS platform

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Get Involved
dontcoz

ChatGPT thinks that phpBB can be (and is) used as an eQMS platform

Post by dontcoz »

As the title says, I was wondering if there are people out there who have used phpBB to build an eQMS platform. this option could be very helpful to many biotech or food-tech SME (small & medium enterprises) out there that don't want to overpay for an eQMS early on in their existence.

i have installed a test board and am at the point of adding extensions and seeing if this is possible with the current software version without much mucking around :D

my one stuck i cannot think of a way to overcome is the issuance of a unique number, that could correspond to the topic number for example, that would uniquely identify records associated with the eQMS. If the topic number could be auto-populated in the topic description field (using Topic Description Extension), i think this might be a viable option. Any other ways to auto-generate a number and prefill it into each forum topic OP?

any thoughts/ experiences much appreciated.
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Re: ChatGPT thinks that phpBB can be (and is) used as an eQMS platform

Post by Paul »

Maybe you should start with telling what a eQMS is?
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

Oops, fair enough!

an eQMS would be an electronic Quality Management System. Companies that have ISO 9001 certification, for example, need a system that manages how they do what they do - from high level policies to various aspects of their operations, like change management, equipment control, vendor control, etc. some examples of OTS eQMS products out there are dot compliance, greelight guru, qualio... there are many and they come at a pretty hefty price.

edit: OTS is off the shelf
Last edited by dontcoz on Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danieltj
Jr. Extension Validator
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

Paul wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:29 pm Maybe you should start with telling what a eQMS is?
via Google:
An eQMS is an Electronic Quality Management System that helps companies automate and streamline their quality management processes.
Verified Profiles PRO is now available. Learn more!
A payment extension is coming soon.

⚙️ phpBBModders.com Team Member
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

Fair comment by Paul - since i am asking i might as well explain myself. :D

Not sure if i did a good job there either. happy to geek out further if needed. :ugeek:

edit: here is a longish ChatGPT blurb that may be better at explaining what i mean.
Using a message board interface like phpBB as an electronic Quality Management System (eQMS) or for document control requires a combination of customization, careful organization, and adherence to regulatory requirements. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to achieve this:

1. Set Up the Basic Structure

Install phpBB: Set up a phpBB forum on your server.
Create Categories and Forums: Design the forum structure to mirror the components of your QMS. For example:
Quality Management (Category)
Policies and Procedures (Forum)
Document Control (Forum)
Training Records (Forum)
Operational Control (Category)
Work Instructions (Forum)
Standard Operating Procedures (Forum)
Compliance and Audits (Category)
Internal Audits (Forum)
Non-conformance Reports (Forum)
Corrective and Preventive Actions (Forum)

2. Customize User Roles and Permissions

User Groups: Create user groups based on roles such as Administrators, Document Control Managers, Quality Assurance Staff, Auditors, and General Users.
Permissions: Assign permissions to control who can view, post, and moderate in each forum. For instance, only Document Control Managers can post in the Document Control forum, while other users can only view and download documents.

3. Document Control Features

Version Control: Use phpBB's attachment system to manage document versions. Encourage users to attach new versions of documents as replies in the same thread, clearly indicating version numbers.
Approval Process: Set up forums where documents must be approved before they become accessible to general users. Use phpBB’s moderation features to have a designated moderator (e.g., Quality Manager) review and approve documents.
Document Indexing: Create sticky threads or dedicated forums for indexes or tables of contents linking to the main documents.

4. Implement Workflow and Tracking

Thread Notifications: Utilize phpBB’s notification system to alert users of updates or new posts in critical forums.
Custom Fields: Consider adding custom profile fields to track user training or certification statuses.
Reporting Tools: Use phpBB’s reporting tools to track and report on document access, user activity, and compliance with document review schedules.

5. Integrate with Other Systems (Optional)

Plugins and Extensions: Explore phpBB extensions that can enhance functionality. For example, file management extensions can improve how attachments are handled.
Single Sign-On (SSO): Implement SSO for seamless integration with other enterprise systems, ensuring consistent user authentication and authorization.

6. Compliance and Security

Audit Trails: Ensure phpBB’s logging features are enabled to maintain a record of all changes, approvals, and access to documents.
Regular Backups: Schedule regular backups of the database and attachments to prevent data loss.
Data Security: Ensure secure communication (e.g., HTTPS) and robust user authentication to protect sensitive information.

7. Training and Documentation

User Training: Provide training sessions for staff on how to use the phpBB-based QMS effectively.
User Guides: Develop comprehensive user guides detailing the processes for uploading, reviewing, approving, and accessing documents.

Example Workflow

Creating a New Document:
A user submits a draft document in the appropriate forum.
The Document Control Manager reviews and posts feedback as a reply.
Once approved, the final document version is uploaded, and the thread is marked as “Final.”

Updating an Existing Document:
A new version is uploaded as a reply in the existing thread.
The thread title is updated to reflect the latest version.
Users are notified of the new version via the notification system.

By carefully structuring your phpBB forums and utilizing its features, you can create an effective and compliant eQMS that facilitates document control, approval workflows, and regulatory compliance.
danieltj
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by danieltj »

The short answer is that phpBB could be used as a eQMS (or anything to be honest) if you want it to be.

The thing about phpBB (and other forum software) is that you can configure it to do all kinds of things but some features may be more complex than others and in some cases you may need an extension or two in order to actually achieve anything. You may also find that you'll need an extension to have a certain feature that technically isn't even on the main forum. I'm thinking of the likes of a blog, or say the customisation database here on phpBB.com. Those features, whilst they are on a phpBB forum, don't actually use the forums itself.

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

Thanks for that! I really find the option of creating something like that very enticing. It may not have all the bells and whistles as the OTS eQMS but when the price is right, who’s counting.

Would I need an extension to have the topic number inserted at the start of each topic or can that be done by some kind of custom field?
Last edited by dontcoz on Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danieltj
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by danieltj »

Inserting the topic ID in the first post of every topic would require a custom extension.

dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

That’s what I thought.

Well, if anyone wants to partner with me, help me customize the software side while I go out to find customers and help them implement the system, PM me.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

I'm not familiar with a QMS but it would appear a CMS like Drupal would be far better suited for such a project.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

Ha! Thanks for that, I’m going to look into it.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

dontcoz wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:25 pmhave the topic number inserted at the start of each topic
Is this even necessary when the browser already displays the URI of the current topic, having the t= parameter?
danieltj wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:06 pmInserting the topic ID in the first post
That's not exactly what he asked. And posts can be sorted in any order in a topic, including descendingly. What if the "first" post of a topic is split off or deleted? What if topics are merged? If anything, the topic ID should be displayed unbound to the posts.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
dontcoz

Post by dontcoz »

You ask good questions. The reason for inserting the topic ID automatically would be to enable the assignment of numbers to records that would each topic represent. Having the numbers show in viewforum and viewtopic using the topic description extension would serve that purpose really well. I know it can be seen as t= and transcribed but I would like to avoid the error prone manual transcription.

The topic merging or first post deletion would generally not be used.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”