[ALPHA] phpBB Wikiness

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
Mike Peel

[ALPHA] phpBB Wikiness

Post by Mike Peel »

I've slowly been assembling a mod which allows content on a phpbb-based site to be edited a'lá Wiki.

What this mod does not do:
  • It does not [currently] allow users to create new records
  • It does not allow interlinking of records, or at the moment even formatting of records
What this mod will do: it will take ordered data, e.g. an episode guide or help system etc, and allow any registered user to edit it. It requires that all the content is in one column, which has a unique ID. It does nothing about displaying this data (that's your job) - it just allows users to edit it. The mod will take an unlimited number of data sets, though.

To see it working completely, have a poke around the early version at SciFi Minds, which allows the editing of the episode guides and more. (I'll be updating that to the alpha shortly). I also have a demo up for people to play with here.

You can download the Alpha release here. It comes with an install guide - follow that to get it working. I'll be writing proper documentation etc. fairly shortly. Please post comments, suggestions, and code fixes below.

What this mod will do when complete:
  • Allow content to be updated [99%]
  • Store a history of changes [99%]
  • Allow a historical entry to be rolled back to be the current entry [99%]
  • Allow the creation and maintanance of the wiki areas in the Admin control panel [99%]
  • Have some sort of permissions system [0%]
  • Allow said content to be BBCode-enhanced [0%]
And a few niceties:
  • Full database abstraction [100%]
  • Full language abstraction [100%]
  • Easy-to-use functions to carry out actions, and get a Wiki link bar [100%]
If anyone has any suggestions about what else this mod should do, please let me know.
Last edited by Mike Peel on Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Point and Code - phpBB Mods, cPanel Zen, and more on the way!
SciFi Minds - FanFiction for SciFi Fans!
DiSpy

Post by DiSpy »

This mod looks like exactly what I need for my forums, one question tho... Will there be a way to limit the wiki so that only mods and admins or any select group can edit it (versus letting just any registered user edit it).

Thank you!!
-DiSpy
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

I'm extremely glad you've decided to make this a phpbb mod, Mike. I look forward to your development, and I'm available to help beta-test it if you desire.

Did you code the wiki-section yourself, or is an adaptation of an already-existant wiki mod.

P.S.: Guess you got my email ;)
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

I did indeed get your email, Cross_+_Flame - that's what made me decide to make it a proper mod. I couldn't let other people see the state of the code as it was then. :)

The whole thing's been coded by me; none of it is from existing wiki's. It's not actually that complicated a set of code.

Permissions: it currently doesn't do that, but I'll have a think and see what I can do.
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Mike Peel wrote: I did indeed get your email, Cross_+_Flame - that's what made me decide to make it a proper mod. I couldn't let other people see the state of the code as it was then. :)
::tips hat:: Excellent. Looking forward to the development then. :D

Am I right to conclude that only one user per section, or can multiple users edit a single section?
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

As it stands: all registered users can edit any part of the content run through the wiki. The permissions stuff may change that, though.
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

... and in the "Bad News" column today, while I was upgrading the demo / development board to 2.0.13, Transmit decided to start deleting files. So while the main code remains, I now have to re-enter the template and language stuff for the wikiness... Will hopefully get around to doing this, and hopefully more, this coming wednesday or so...

Mental note: must do more backup-ing.

hrm; it appears the functions file also took a trip down the digital memory lane... That's going to take a while to fix. :(
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Sorry to hear of your loss, Mike. Any updates on this resurrected wiki mod for this easter season? ;)
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

It's alive!!!

The code's now been rewritten, and I carried on a bit too. One admin panel, now 80% done (language abstraction is missing; that's next). And now, a screenshot:

I have a few more things I want to get written, before I release an alpha. Eta should be a couple of days, tops.
Mike Peel

Rollback function

Post by Mike Peel »

A question about the rollback function (which I'm currently coding): should it just copy the history event into the current event entry, and leave it at that, or should it also create a new history event at the same time?

Alpha coming shortly, BTW.
Cross_+_Flame

Re: Rollback function

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Mike Peel wrote: A question about the rollback function (which I'm currently coding): should it just copy the history event into the current event entry, and leave it at that, or should it also create a new history event at the same time?

Alpha coming shortly, BTW.
create a new history event to keep all the information there. That's the wiki way. just my opinion ;)
Mike Peel

Re: Rollback function

Post by Mike Peel »

Cross_+_Flame wrote: create a new history event to keep all the information there. That's the wiki way. just my opinion ;)

Thanks. That's the way I did it in the end. The nice thing about the way I've written the code - creating a new history event takes the whole of 1 line of code. :)

Alpha now out, BTW.
Cross_+_Flame

Post by Cross_+_Flame »

Any updates on this Mike? We appreciate you!
Mike Peel

Post by Mike Peel »

I'm now in the middle of exams, so won't be doing any coding until they're done (they end at the beginning of June). Will try and get a final version out sometime before the end of June. (and then, knowing my luck, phpbb3 will probably arrive, meaning I have to rewrite it all.)
MakePB

Post by MakePB »

This sound as really sweet mod. Let's hope that you'll find enough time
to release it very soon.

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”