Export PMs to XML

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
36%
Good
No votes
Fair
No votes
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

Export PMs to XML

Post by Extensions Robot » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Modification name: Export PMs to XML
Author: OlivierW
Modification description: Allow to export all your PMs to XML format
Modification version: 1.2.0
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: export_pms_1.2.0.zip
File size: 4334 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. Category
    1. Communication
  2. phpBB
    1. 2.0.23
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extensions Team)

ycl6
Translator

Post by ycl6 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:43 am

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
This MOD will export your PMs to the XML format.

OlivierW

Post by OlivierW » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:33 pm

Thank you :D

I hope it will be useful for a lot of people :)

Olivier :wink:

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:41 pm

Could you explain how this MOD could prove to be useful for the average phpBB admin? The description doesn't provide enough information for me...

:lol:

OlivierW

Post by OlivierW » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:11 pm

In phpBB, users can have a certain number of PMs in their Inbox, Sentbox and Savebox. When they are full, they can delete some of the PMs.
But sometimes, they have important PMs and they want to save them on their hard disk. With this MOD, users can export all their PMs on their hard disk :)

I hope you understand what I mean :? Anyway, you can download my MOD and try it 8)

bebe2803

Post by bebe2803 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:17 am

I have installed this mod, after download my PMs, i try to open the xml file by IE and netscape, but both only show a plain text code, netscape say
"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." and in find that as my forum is using chinese, it have code problem.

( I give it a 5/5 point, it is becuase this mod works, maybe just my problem that i don't know how to read a xml file)
怨念公社 (trad. chinese big5 forum)

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:36 am

Thanks Olivier. That is the definition that should accompany this MOD. I bet a lot of people will find this MOD useful if they understand what it provides. I didn't think I would be interested, based on the original definition. Based on what you just stated, I will install it on my board and check it out...

Thanks again...

tamcavboy3

Post by tamcavboy3 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:21 am

i dont' think this mod is useful, but good job

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:16 am

I think this MOD is useful for those of us who are packrats who never want to delete or throw anything away. For those who use PM for very serious matters, then it might be very helpful to keep copies of all PMs received and sent for future reference. I really like the concept of this MOD. I tend to be a packrat...

Olivier, after Exporting the messages to a XML file, what could I use to view the messages again if necessary. I use Opera and it doesn't format the messages at all. In 1st Page 2000, it looks like source code. So is there a better option for viewing these files???

Also, it might be nice to add an Import feature too. That would partially resolve the first problem above. Would it be possible to get an Import Add-on to your MOD???

Here is a Screenshot of what it looks like in PM. The SS was created using Gadwin Printscreens and hosted by ImageShack for free...

Thanks for this MOD Olivier. I think it is a nice addition to phpBB...

Fox3

Post by Fox3 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:58 am

ok, i just installed this, and, it comes up with this, any suggestions?
Could not query private message post information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1 Can't create/write to file '/tmp/#sql_d95_0.MYD' (Errcode: 5)

SELECT u.username AS username_1, u.user_id AS user_id_1, u2.username AS username_2, u2.user_id AS user_id_2, pm.privmsgs_subject, pmt.privmsgs_text, pm.privmsgs_type, pm.privmsgs_from_userid, pm.privmsgs_to_userid, pm.privmsgs_date FROM phpbb_privmsgs pm, phpbb_privmsgs_text pmt, phpbb_users u, phpbb_users u2 WHERE pmt.privmsgs_text_id = pm.privmsgs_id AND (u.user_id = 4 OR u2.user_id = 4) AND u.user_id = pm.privmsgs_from_userid AND u2.user_id = pm.privmsgs_to_userid AND NOT(pm.privmsgs_from_userid <> 4 AND pm.privmsgs_type = 2) AND NOT(pm.privmsgs_from_userid = 4 AND pm.privmsgs_type = 0) ORDER BY pm.privmsgs_type, pm.privmsgs_date DESC

Line : 61
File : export_privmsgs.php

OlivierW

Post by OlivierW » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:37 pm

Hello :)

bebe2803, I just registered on your forum and I got a PM in Chinese. I exported it and I had no problem to open it in Internet Explorer so the XML file seems valid. Can you sent me a file that doesn't work so I can see where is your problem ?
You can delete my account "OlivierW" on your forum :) and thanks for voting 8)

Thanks NightriderXP for the explanation you're giving about my MOD.
I will give a little tool (with source code) written in VB6 very soon but I don't have time to work on it now :(
Everybody will be able to improve it or make another one in another language.
I may had an Import function later but I'm not sure to get the time soon :? So if someone want to try to code it... :)

Fox3, I'm sorry, I don't understand why you're having this problem :? Is there something special in your forum ? Version, language ? I tested my MOD only in phpBB 2.0.13.

Fox3

Post by Fox3 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:50 am

i fixed this problem, in the privmsg.php, on line 1, there was a bit of text (that i dont know what it does) outside the <?, so i deleted it, and it works now, Kickass mod, man, 15/10

If you wanna take a gander, the site is
http://forums.halo2rocks.com
Just tell me i sent you

OlivierW

Post by OlivierW » Thu May 05, 2005 10:02 pm

If everything goes well, in two weeks I'll be able to work on the tool to read the exported PMs :)

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP » Fri May 06, 2005 1:04 am

Thanks Olivier...

I've been hoping that you would find the time to work on this. As it stands now, we can't use the backups that we are making of the PMs so a reader would be much appreciated. Is there a way you can add a feature to restore the PMs from the backup back into the phpBB board too, just in case the need arises? With a reader, that may not ever be necessary, but you never know...

bebe2803

Post by bebe2803 » Fri May 06, 2005 8:40 am

OlivierW wrote: Hello :)

bebe2803, I just registered on your forum and I got a PM in Chinese. I exported it and I had no problem to open it in Internet Explorer so the XML file seems valid. Can you sent me a file that doesn't work so I can see where is your problem ?
You can delete my account "OlivierW" on your forum :) and thanks for voting 8)

Thanks NightriderXP for the explanation you're giving about my MOD.
I will give a little tool (with source code) written in VB6 very soon but I don't have time to work on it now :(
Everybody will be able to improve it or make another one in another language.
I may had an Import function later but I'm not sure to get the time soon :? So if someone want to try to code it... :)

Fox3, I'm sorry, I don't understand why you're having this problem :? Is there something special in your forum ? Version, language ? I tested my MOD only in phpBB 2.0.13.

Sorry for the late reply.. Don't have much time after i have find a new job :roll: Some of the member even say i have abandoned the forum (sigh)

Wordpad and M$ word can show the chinese in xml file, but i cannot change the character encoding in IE and netscape, seem that is my problem that others member can read that xml in browser too. - -
怨念公社 (trad. chinese big5 forum)

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”