is search broken?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
swatthatfly

is search broken?

Post by swatthatfly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:23 pm

I'm trying to search on this site and all I get is an empty page. Is there a problem? I've tried both with Firefox and Exploder, logged in and as guest and all I get is an empty page. Any ideas?

Hmmm, a search by author works, but not by subject. I was able to find my own post by looking for my user name. Weird.

dbdummy

Post by dbdummy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:28 pm

make sure you have select all terms, don't use words like php, the, it, there, etc

ie, if you have problems deleting messages, put in "deleting AND messages"

and check out the link below

flogger12

Post by flogger12 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:34 pm

well, I love it here ( as you can tell ) but I have to admit , the search function is pretty much useless at this point.
Even if you manage to get something other than a blank page with no explanation of why, then it won't let you go to the next page of results anyway.

You are much better off using google. you can search for a complete text string like this:

"could not connect to database"+phpbb
that will return many many hits on google, almost all of them here at the phpbb.com board, however, if you did that in this search , it would probably give you a blank page.

luck,
robertr

swatthatfly

Post by swatthatfly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:38 pm

flogger12 wrote: well, I love it here ( as you can tell ) but I have to admit , the search function is pretty much useless at this point.
Even if you manage to get something other than a blank page with no explanation of why, then it won't let you go to the next page of results anyway.

You are much better off using google. you can search for a complete text string like this:

"could not connect to database"+phpbb
that will return many many hits on google, almost all of them here at the phpbb.com board, however, if you did that in this search , it would probably give you a blank page.

luck,
robertr

Wow, is this a general issue, or just something specific to the forum? If general, then why have a search button to begin with?

dbdummy

Post by dbdummy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:56 pm

swatthatfly

Post by swatthatfly » Fri Apr 22, 2005 9:19 pm

I get it thanx. It is a strange choice though, seing how forums with a lot more traffic have no problems searching, irregardless of how you structure your querry. It will not be a problem on my forum then and so I'm happy.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”