admin email errors on new registers

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
chainReaction

admin email errors on new registers

Post by chainReaction »

i cannot get the function for admin email to work when a new member registers. i have set it to admin activation and input the correct smtp address etc. but on test it gives error:

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 502 unimplemented (#5.5.1)

DEBUG MODE
Line : 125
...public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php

have never gotten email whether set to php or smtp
when it is set for user it doesnst send activation email either
SMTP was set and gave the above error.

what has to go on line 125:
server_parse($socket, "334", __LINE__);

any thoughts? little help please.

CR
AlienInTX

I have this exact same issue.

Post by AlienInTX »

I have this exact same issue. I don't have much hope for a response though. The 2 other threads I viewed about this problem were not resolved by anyone.
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

What happens if you don't use SMTP, and use phpBB's emailer?
chainReaction

Post by chainReaction »

absolutely nothing.
i have had it set that way up until now because it lets the new member register without errors and then i just watch the board to authorize and activate. ..but i get no email notification. also when set to user activation it does not send out the email to activate... However as a test user i do get the welcome email with PW etc.
chainReaction

in addition

Post by chainReaction »

i have tried a different smtp address and i got a whole new set of errors:
General Error

Could not connect to smtp host : 13 : Permission denied

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: No address associated with hostname in /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php on line 109

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to smtp.(myaddress):25 in /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php on line 109

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php:109) in /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 474

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php:109) in /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 476

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/smtp.php:109) in /usr/home/flowersf/public_html/phpBB/includes/page_header.php on line 477
\

*please note* i have double checked the address and it is correct on the server and in the entries....but obviously not locally.

still lost and down.
jims2321

Post by jims2321 »

I am also experiencing this issue... My case might be a little different, since I am not using an upstream ISP, but my own mail server on the same ethernet ring.

My phpbbs is on one box 192.168.2.108, my mail server (Qmail) is on another server 192.168.2.100. I have added the mail server to my host file on the phpbbs server, and have tested sending emails thru the email account I created, it works fine... but for some reason the smtp connection is not working from inside of the phpbb software...

Any other ideas, I have tried disabling the smtp in the configuration, but it still does not send mail.

Jim
geocator

Post by geocator »

jrblast555

Post by jrblast555 »

u have a host? or u host urself with apache? if u use apache i thik u need a seperate smtp server, u probably have to forward port 25 for that

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”