[BETA] P&J Mod (Last updated: 03/10/05) V.1.7

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
pokemaster

[BETA] P&J Mod (Last updated: 03/10/05) V.1.7

Post by pokemaster »

(i hope it has no errors) if anyone wants to test it and find errors be my guest!
## MOD Title: Poem and Joke MOD (p&j for short)
## MOD Author: Pokemaster < aaronboffin@hotmail.com > (Aaron Boffin) http://members.lycos.co.uk/pokemaster1230/
## MOD Description: This mod makes it so you can have like make your own riddle / poem and submit for a reward...
## MOD Version: 1.7.0
## Works on 2.1.7

Files:
+ p&j.php (main page)
+ admin_p&j.php (admin options)
+ db_update.php (updates the database)
+ delete_pj.php (delete guesses)

##############################
##Working on:
##(*) can't deside
##############################

#
#------[ HISTORY ]-----------------------------------------------
#

#V.1.0.0
#Created: first working one
#ADDED: db_update.php file to update database
#ADDED: admin can disable page from admin_p&j.php
#ADDED: enable/disabled 2 dropdown boxes in admin_p&j.php
#ADDED: two text boxes at the moment
#
#V.1.5.0
#SECOND BUILD: released: 05/08/05
#ADDED: 3 extra text boxs and 3 more drop down menu options
#ADDED: in admin options can chose between 2. go to admin options or View submitted stuff.
#ADDED: View submitted stuff is all the things that users have submitted to the database
#ADDED: can now submit stuff to the database
#
#V.1.5.5
#Released: 05/08/05
#FIXED: XXX's in the confirmation
#
#V.1.6.0 - released 26/09/05
#ADDED: in admin panel allow guests to have a try
#ADDED: in admin panel allowed a prize for getting the right answer and specify (points only)
#ADDED: on main page (p&j.php) Current prize
#ADDED/FIXED: if a user doesn't pick a word/number in a drop down box it errors
#
#V.1.7.0 - released 03/10/05 (uk release of charmed season 3!)
#FIX: in admin panel didn't show the word reward when rewards turned on
#ADDED: delete a guess/row
#
##############################################
#
##############################################
#
#-----------[ FEATURES REQUESTED ]-------------------
#
# *
#
#--------[ FEATURES COMING SOON ]---------------------------------
#
#*
#
###############################################

##################################
#
#----------[ FIXES ]--------------------
#
#################################

############################################
#To See the newest version before it is realsed for download go to http://members.lycos.co.uk/pokemaster1230/p&j.php
#
#Download Here -> http://members.lycos.co.uk/pokemaster1230 , then go down to the poem and joke mod thread! 8.40KB
#
############################################

PLEASE POST IDEAS, WHAT YOU THINK OF THIS MOD SO FAR JUST BY READING THE INFORMATION.

~ pokemaster
Last edited by pokemaster on Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.
My Newest Mods: Money Box ,P&J Mod , Fortune teller
DKing

Post by DKing »

So this is basically a contest mod for jokes and poems
-DKing
Latest phpBB Version: 2.0.21
Search For a MOD: MOD Search
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

yes, i guess it is however the rewards feature will be optional in the admin panel and this mod should be points mod compatiable

~ pokemaster
songdove

Post by songdove »

Looking forward to seeing the submit button, and the acp side.

Will users be presented with the output of their choices when points or rewards are given?

(If anyone wants to know, I was the one to ask for a random joke/poem generator where users can pick words from drop down lists to create sentences, jokes, or poems, and submit them for points, rewards, or response from a pretend onsite character such as ADR's Advanced NPC's)

If anyone visits neopets at all, you may have tripped across "Grumpy old King" or "Wise old king" where you pick words from lists to make a joke that the "king" evaluates, and if he likes it, you get rewarded, if he doesn't, something bad happens. Thought something similar would be fun for phpbb.
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

[BETA] released for peoples testing.... reward feature doesn't work at the moment but the basics are there. pick from the drop down menu and submit and admin can see them in the options :)

~ pokemaster
songdove

Post by songdove »

Getting there for sure. Um, the link for the zip file tells me I have to visit your site before I can download it. I visit your site and I still get told I have to visit before I can download it.

However the test page you have up is promising.

The configuration complete messages. . . are those displayed just for testing purposes to know that that step completed? I like the read out when the person hits submit before they submit to database.

If there is another way to get the zip file, I'd like to see how the admin side looks on my site if that's ok.
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

DOWNLOAD HERE:
#Download Here -> http://members.lycos.co.uk/pokemaster1230 , then go down to the poem and joke mod thread! 68.8KB

that should let you download it.

@Songdove: FIXED download thing.

However the test page you have up is promising. thanks

The configuration complete messages. . . are those displayed just for testing purposes to know that that step completed? what ya mean by this

I like the read out when the person hits submit before they submit to database. that will be staying

I'd like to see how the admin side looks on my site if that's ok. sure you can thats why i am letting people download it
songdove

Post by songdove »

The configuration complete messages appear to be what I'd refer to as part of a debugging script just to be sure they were completed ok. Will those stay too or be hidden, (I'd prefer hidden, kids don't care if it completed, they will just get a kick out of their completed sentence and submitting it for some form of reward).

Going over to download and test :-)
songdove

Post by songdove »

Ok, testing feedback on my site.

Running the db_update noticed that I still had fields there from an earlier test I did for you, so I left those.

I created a sentence and drop down lists using all the drop down lists available.

I went to the main page, picked my words, was told each field completed its configuration, hit submit and my sentence only showed my drop down words, not my "filler words" between the drop down lists. I hit submit to database anyway, and went to the admin area to read what was submitted, and the sentence showed up properly.

I double-checked the sentence I'd set up in admin, submitted it, went back to the user side, filled it in again, and then was met with the following after the third drop down update complete message.:

Fatal Error Updating
You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 't work' WHERE username='songdove'' at line 1

I tried a third time on the user side, and here is what the resulting sentence looks like to the user, this is the same as it looked the 1st time:

XXX examining XXX performs XXX blows up XXX hide XXX go

But on the admin side under "submitted stuff", it shows up fine:

Friday 05th August 2005 01:35:26 PM songdove HI there, I am just examining this feature to see how it performs because if blows up then I have no choice but to hide and that would go

Those "filler word" fields, did they change from the first db_update I ran? Should I delete those and try again, or is this just a display issue, as the sentence displays fine in the admin submitted area.
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

i don't know what is wrong the fatal error, however there is now a fix for the XXX thing as i had just forgot to add the code to it thats all...
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

updated version to 1.5.5 (this version fixes the XXX errors)

~ pokemaster
songdove

Post by songdove »

Thanks Pokemaster, it works perfectly now as currently coded.

Looking forward to the next items on your todo list as you add them.
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

Version 1.6 is on its way:

Features to be included:

(1) if one or more of the drop down menus not used ERROR!
(2) admins allow/disallow guests using the mod
(3) turn rewards off in admin panel (more reward stuff)
songdove

Post by songdove »

Yaaaaaaaaa, looking forward to it pokemaster. :D
pokemaster

Post by pokemaster »

Version 1.6 is now ready to download it has been over a month and a half since the last update so i hope people will enjoy it. if you would kindly pm me your websites that its been used on so i can see if there is any inprovements that could be made :)

~ pokemaster

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”