[2.0.21] Rebuild Search

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
81%
Very Good
14%
Good
4%
Fair
No votes
Poor
1%

Total votes: 72

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.21] Rebuild Search

Postby Extensions Robot » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:19 pm

MOD Name: Rebuild Search
Author: chatasos
MOD Description: This mod allows admins to index all posts in their forum by rebuilding the search tables. Rebuild progress can be stopped and resumed at a later time and some time/db statistics are displayed while rebuilding.

MOD Version: 2.4.0 (Updated 07/21/06)

Download File: rebuild_search_2.4.0a.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 52273 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extensions Team)

ycl6
Translator

Postby ycl6 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:13 am

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
In case you encounter problems with your search table (in database), you can easily use this MOD to rebuild it.

ellingsworth

Thanks

Postby ellingsworth » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:33 pm

Thanks for this mod. I was working with my DB recently and had trouble restoring the rather large search tables. For some reason i was getting a duplicate key error. In any case, i can now adjust my backup scripts to not backup those large tables and use this to re-create them.

The UI is VERY well done.

chatasos

Postby chatasos » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:18 pm

The following is from the author notes and i'm just putting it here in order to make it more clear about the usage of this mod:

Code: Select all

##   This mod will index every post in your forum, rebuilding the search tables.
##
##   This is useful when :
##
##   - You have imported posts from another forum
##   - You have lost/deleted/corrupted your phpbb search tables in one way or another
##   - You want to transfer your db to another server (you can skip the copying of search tables
##     which are usually quite a lot of MB and create them on the new server from scratch)
##   - When you have updated the "search_stopwords.txt" file (running the mod will remove these words from the search tables)
##   - Users cannot find what they are searching for in your forum (although there could many other reasons for this)
##
##   You can stop whenever you like and the next time you run it again, you'll have the option of
##   continuing from where you left off.
##   
##   It may take a long time to show its progress (depending on "Posts per cycle" and "Time limit"),
##   so please do not move from its progress page until it is complete, unless of course you want to interrupt it.

Also here you'll find the topic in the development forum, where you can find possible answers to your questions.

Report Posts 1.2.3c (MODDB) - Report Posts 2.1.5 (ALPHA)
Rebuild Search 2.4.0 (MODDB)
MOD Version Checker 1.2.0 (MODDB)
Mega Mail System 0.9.8 (ALPHA)
Pagination Select List & Input Box (MODDB)

BladeOfAnduril27

Postby BladeOfAnduril27 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:40 pm

Excellent mod!!! Thank you for creating it. I've been in need of something like this for a long time. As said before, the UI is very good!!

MoLew

Postby MoLew » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:57 am

I guess I jumped into this one a day too soon. Just last night I used the latest development version to repair the non-functional keyword search on my forum.

Brief background: after having my forum moved to several different servers by my web hosting outfit, there was bound to be something wrong. The first couple prolems were minor, and corrected via phpMyAdmin with simple "repair table" commands. Those were not related to the search funtioning however. Ever since my forum landed in it's current server, the keyword search was messed up. The search could only find items posted within the last couple weeks - the time frame of the last server move. The lack of a reliable forum search quickly proved to be a major irritation for myself, forum moderators and forum members.

I went searching for a solution. I found this mod, in it's developement/pre-approval stage. I looked to be just what I needed, and had the benefit of being tested and tweaked by many others before I found it. I'm usually reluctant to install mods not fully approved by the phpBB mod authorities. Especially mods that leave no doubt they intend to work your database hard. With more than a little trepidation, and fresh backups close at hand, I began the processing.

27,000+ posts were processed in 41 minutes.

Now my forum has it's full keyword search functionality restored. :D

My forum's members, moderators and I all thank you very much for this very useful tool. 8)

chatasos

Postby chatasos » Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:15 am

Thanks a lot guys :wink: :D

kukacomone

Postby kukacomone » Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:07 pm

Very nice, very nice!! Thank you!

da_badtz_one

Postby da_badtz_one » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:17 am

This is a wonderful tool, I was able to restore my forum back into working shape in no time because the database was big and by removing all of the search tables, it saved a lot of time. My members were already complaining about the search having problems, etc. And now that I've run this tool, everything is fixed with regards to the search part of phpBB :)

Thanks chatasos!!

»»EDDY««

Postby »»EDDY«« » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 pm

GJ.
Make a Tiny URL in excellent domain heh.pl

cooling system & water cooling

doddjames

Postby doddjames » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:27 pm

I'm just doing a dummy-run move of my forum onto a different server and this is just what I've been looking for. Cool!

Does it work with 2.0.10 though? That is the version I've got installed right now and I really must move server before upgrading..

chatasos

Postby chatasos » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:02 pm

doddjames wrote:I'm just doing a dummy-run move of my forum onto a different server and this is just what I've been looking for. Cool!

Does it work with 2.0.10 though? That is the version I've got installed right now and I really must move server before upgrading..

Hi doddjames,

There should be no problem running this mod with 2.0.10, but i would really recommend to update to the latest phpbb first (security reasons) and then run the mod.

James78

Postby James78 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:02 am

Very useful mod. It fixes problems with the search table correctly and accurately :D

cruisemates

Postby cruisemates » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:09 pm

chatosos...

We flapped gums on your development board. I am the one with 706,000 posts. I have already moved my phpbb to a new working server, but I got so wrapped up in my DNS-switch timeline (wanting to do the transition this weekend) that I forgot to do the indexing before I did it.

Let me ask you this; the phpbb tables on my old server are up to date through yesterday. Could I run your mod on THOSE boards and then import it to my new server, and then will my new server phpBB continue building this index based on the one I imported?

chatasos

Postby chatasos » Sun Oct 09, 2005 6:30 pm

cruisemates wrote:chatosos...

We flapped gums on your development board. I am the one with 706,000 posts. I have already moved my phpbb to a new working server, but I got so wrapped up in my DNS-switch timeline (wanting to do the transition this weekend) that I forgot to do the indexing before I did it.

Let me ask you this; the phpbb tables on my old server are up to date through yesterday. Could I run your mod on THOSE boards and then import it to my new server, and then will my new server phpBB continue building this index based on the one I imported?

cruisemates, if the posts table on the new forum is copied from the old forum, then there should be no problem running my mod on the old forum and then transfering the 2 search tables to the new forum. But you'll have to transfer mod's table too, if you want to continue the rebuidling on the new forum.

Please note that if you have your new forum active, some posts may have been already indexed, so you can't transfer your old search tables unless you overwrite them.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”