I did everything wrong with my first board and thought that by sharing some advice it could help others.
- 1. Find an ISP that is:
- a. Fast
b. Allows multiple databases (Unless you want to use something like easyphp; see #2)
3. Learn Easymod. If you make ANY changes, try to do them with this. Why? It keeps a nice little history of what you have done. I know not everything runs in EasyMod; read the error messages and change the scripts.
4. Manual modifications (see #3) should be documented in detail as well.
5. Backup your data often. I use PHPmysqlautobackup. It allows you to automatically e-mail you the data on a set schedule. I am so bad at PHP (but getting better all of the time) and this was kind of easy.
6. Make sure there is a blank "index.html" file in every directory you add. You don't want anyone snooping around.
7. Know how to search this forum
8. Realize that there is also a Knowledge Base
- a. Fast
P.S. If you already modified your board big time I would suggest starting all over again doing this. Otherwise you'll get more and more upset everytime a version change comes out.These are either items I wish I knew before starting a forum or what I see as the most common support requests (that I understand).
Below are the shortcuts to either one of two things; things I should ahve read before installing and/or what I see as the most common questions that users are having in this support forum. Read through it all now so that later, when you have an issue, you will have a place to start.
Note: Nothing here is mine, just a recap of things I have read. I have tried to give credit where credit is due. I'd love to know who invented the "cookie dance!" If I have misquoted or offended anyone please PM me and I will fix it ASAP.
This is a manual alternative to the Auto Cookies MOD by geocator
MOD Name: Auto Cookies
MOD Description: Automaticly detects and writes proper domain name and cookie settings. This is a run once and delete script that will help you resolve many problems, including login issues.
AutoCookies support can be found by clicking here
- 1. Download the Auto Cookies MOD
2. Extract the cookie.php file.
3. You then need to upload this file to your server in the install directory (you will need to make that directory). The install directory should be in your forum directory.
4. Using your browser go to the file review the settings and save.
5. Make sure you delete the file and the install directory.
6. Log out
7. Clear your browser cookie
8. Clear your browser cache/temporary internet files
9. Close your browser
10. Go back and test
Header/Footer/Custom Logo Help
phpBB2 Extended Welcome Package wrote: Hosting
Click here and scroll down for a list of sites with hosting related information
Full package; in most cases the zip file will be the best choice.
Flash Installation Tutorial
KB - Step by Step Installation Instructions
The docs folder in the download package
Also, check out my Guide / Recommendations for newbies
Mod(ification) Installation Help
KB - Manual MOD Installation Tutorial
KB - Installing a MOD in a safe way
Automated Installation Utility
MOD Name: EasyMOD 0.3.0
MOD Description: EasyMOD is an automatic MOD installer. It will take a MOD that follows the phpBB MODing guidelines and automatically make all changes necessary to install the MOD.
Download EasyMod | EasyMod Readme | EasyMod Support
Security HelpRestore Options
My favorite backup program! PHPmysqlautobackup
- KB - Using phpMyAdmin to restore your phpBB database
Download and use Bigdump. Many people suggest it, I have never used it.
Or you can just call your host and ask them to restore.
phpMySQLAutoBackup automates the backup of your MySQL databases. The PHP scripts export your database (data and structures), compresses it into gzip format and emails it to you. Either enter the url in your browser or schedule it to run every day/week by adding it to a cron job.
Spammer HelpLumpy's instructions on security settings. For now: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=347555
Location of all phpBB files (all versions and code changes)
KB - How to update or reinstall your phpBB board while keeping all data (thus the SQL database) intact
How to upgrade to a clean 2.0.19 (removes Modifications)
Biggest Upgrade Mistake -- Updating board files and forgetting to run update_to_latest.php
- 1. Download phpBB 2.0.19 (latest version)
2. Backup your original config.php
3. Copy the new 2.0.19 files to your forum directory
4. Copy your original config.php back to your forum
5. Browse to http://yourdomain.tld/install/update_to_latest.php
6. Delete the install and contrib directories.
For those with Mod(ifications)
7. Reinstall Mods (No SQL should need to be processed as you are only replacing code in the forum.
8. Relax, you are done (Unless you want to make sure and run the Auto Cookies MOD.
Second Biggest Ugrade Mistake -- Running update_to_latest.php but forgetting to update board files.
Third Biggest Mistake -- KB - I accidently deleted my config.php file. What do I do?
User Admin Help
An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
Visual Confirmation Help